Tachometer, rev counter wiring

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Tachometer, rev counter wiring

Postby Orrp01 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 pm

With the wiring loom out of the car I’m going to tidy it up as it has been chopped and changed and some bare wires in places. The wiring for the tacho is a bit confusing to me, there is a single strand resistance wire that is crimped at 3 junctions and has burned through its complete length inside the loom. It joins onto the white wire at these junctions but this wire isn’t damaged at all. I’m just not sure what this resistance wire does or how I can replicate it. Any help appreciated. It’s on my mk 2 GT
Philip Orr
Viva GT
Orrp01
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Tachometer, rev counter wiring

Postby Orrp01 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Follow up to above, the wire had overheated but hadn’t failed. It must be the ballast resistor wire and the car had been running on the wrong coil. As I’m going to fit accuspark it’s now removed and bypassed. Main reason for this post was to share my tacho problems, I have 3 smiths tacho’s, mk2 gt, mk1 gt and one from a vx/490 and none of them would work. After a bit of searching to hopefully get 1 repaired I came across a firm that does new upgraded circuit boards for them that also changes them from rvi to rvc which makes them suitable for working with electronic ignition. SPIYDA is the firms name and for £43 I had one delivered yesterday and fitted within about an hour. Easily calibrated and it seems to work well. There’s a few YouTube videos on them and worth looking at if anyone with the same problems
Philip Orr
Viva GT
Orrp01
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help