Interior lamp question.

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Interior lamp question.

Postby jpsmit » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:05 am

Friends, quick question. I just PM'd Fred about the new interior light plastic casting.

I have three old ones and two of them are burnt by the lightbulb. Would an LED bulb correct this? and if so, what do I need to know? are the readily available? Do I need to adapt the wiring.

(similarly is it worth thinking about changing the dash lights while al is apart)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Interior lamp question.

Postby brading » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:02 pm

Your interior light would work fine with a LED bulb, I am sure LED's run a lot cooler than incandesant bulbs. No modifications needed. It is basically googling LED bulbs to find something suitable, The same with dash panel bulbs.If you run down this thread you will see how someone did the dash LED's.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ts.351234/
brading
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby brading » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:16 pm

brading
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:20 pm

You'll need a festoon LED 36mm long. Don't go for ones with lots of LEDs on a big flat plate, or one with a heat sink on the back those probably won't fit. Go for one that has 3 or 6 LEDs.

The club spares scheme has remanufactured HB light units in stock I believe. They don't include the metal bits or the clear lens, both can be sourced from your old unit, but they do include the rivets to attach all the bits to the plastic.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Electrical help