removing 7 dial dash

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

removing 7 dial dash

Postby petrolhead63 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:29 pm

I want to remove the 7 dial dash, speedo not working, tacho not working, dial lights not working, clock not working :lol:

It looks like owner before me tried!..it is loose, and evidence of damaged dash parts all over the place.

I can not see what is actually holding it in...Mr haynes says remove 4 screws holding it in but thats not right! help appreciated.
petrolhead63
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:09 am

Should be right - there's four self-tappers, two at each end of the seven-dial module, they screw in through a bracket at each side to hold the module in the dash panel.

I am pretty sure (I haven't looked for a while) that you cannot get to the middle two (those closest to the centre line of the car) because the warning light module is in the way, and the warning light module will only come out once you've removed the whole dash from the car. You might get to the two on the outer end with a stubby screwdriver, maybe that's what has happened and why the module is loose.

But you'll probably find it easier if you get the whole dash out - remove all the nuts along the lower edge, disconnect the wiring, speedo cable and oil pressure pipe, remove the steering column upper shroud, then gently pull forwards and up. You can probably get away without removing the steering wheel, but you want the battery off for this. Once the dash is out, two nuts hold the warning light module in place, then you'll see the four screws. It's much easier to work on and there's less chance of breaking something.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:11 am

Oh, and "clock not working" might just mean your dash is the same as most of them - I found that you can fit a battery-operated clock module in the space that the car-powered one goes, use the same hands and make a virtually invisible swap, the only difference being it actually works.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby petrolhead63 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:18 am

thats great advice...but on the basis the dashboard is kaput I will wait for a good one before bothering take it out or decide to repair the old one so as to do the job properley.

This Magnum I think I will have up for sale very soon....too many cars! Shame, it is almost rust free and unlike most could be made quite superb without the usual pile of welding!
petrolhead63
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:28 am

If a previous owner has started to remove the dash, are you sure it's not just that half the stuff isn't connected, or is connected up wrongly? Also the dash lights are controlled by a slider switch underneath the dash just to the right of the steering column, that would take out all dash lighting if it's switch the wrong way or a wire off.

(I know, I know, some are obvious, but I don't know how much you've checked).
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help