Any Good

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Postby DrSeg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:25 pm

hi there, had hbs and a hc viva fir quite a while gone now though, Jagos are the latest fun cars anyway.......
leccy ignition were early astras with the ohv engine leccy ignition?
that may be possible... but a much cheaper version of whats for sale on ebay is available from good old Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 2&DOY=23m6
theres the link same idea as the £30 ebay item for £9.99 only prob is you have to build it takes about 3/4 of an hour soldering it up and you have to find a box to put it in
some of the instructions are direct translation dutch which reads a little funny and just the same as the Ebay unit disconnect condenser and connect the 4 wires as instructed i use various types of connector so that i it fails it can be reverted to ordinary points and condenser as easy as possible
I have 2 fitted to a cross flow and a pinto run really well start even easier than they did before a mate has 2 fitted on his moto guzzi v twin that have also been great
can thoroughly recommend these and no i dont work for Maplins or the company that makes the units
hope this is of use
DrSeg
First Post
First Post

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 am

If you have AC Delco Distributor on your Viva (not Bosch), you can buy a Luminition electronic ignition for it - but......... Luminition does not have it listed as for fitting a Viva which is why Viva owners believe you cannot buy Luminition.
So, buy one for Triumph Spitfire (those with AC Delco Distributor) If you call Luminition direct or even a distributor, they would deny that they do a kit for the Viva, and they would also tell you that the Spitfire one would not fit. This is crazy, because it is the same distributor, (just the oil pump drive is different) and this kit definately does fit ! I have them on three Vivas, and they all work just fine. Go Luminition...............
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vivaha » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm

After looking at this guys website i see he does a module for negative earth cars as well. This system works on the same principle as the old Boyer Branston transistor assited ignition system that i fitted on my viva HA about 10 years ago. As a auto-electrician for nearly 20 years i fitted loads of these and found them to be very reliable. Because there is no electrical connection to the case these will work on either earthing system and i should think the guy just changes the wire colours to distinquish between pos and neg earth.
Tim
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

electronic ignition

Postby 1256man » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:51 pm

hello recently fitted one of those boxes that converts the voltage at the points from high to low tension so they dont wear out through burning the kit comes with full instructions and connectors for you to fit ive been driving the car a 1256 chevette so it should work the same as any ohv viva as its the same engine i havent noticed any better performance etc still starts and runs well but seeing as you do away with the condensor and the points will last indefinatley i think its worth the £30 or so investment im keeping the condensor in the boot just in case though
Attachments
600.jpg
600.jpg (90.54 KiB) Viewed 990 times
more space more cars
1256man
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Electrical help