Headlight Upgrade help needed please !!

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Headlight Upgrade help needed please !!

Postby JimmyJam » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi all, could you please help me. I noticed that both of my headlights were of slightly different brightness. On inspection of the main dual filament bulbs, I noticed little filament bits rolling around inside one, and the other had blackened quite a bit. So I need to replace them. I have been told that I should upgrade them to the slightly more powerful halogen light, I believe 50w/55w, and I also believe that they are a H4 fitting. Could somebody please advise me on what I need, where to get them, and do I need to also change the side light small bulbs, to match the light output colouring. Dont get me wrong, I am no modding type of person, but I believe this would be an advantage to the ususal candle light power it has. I really appreciate all your help, and would be completely stuck without it. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again. Jimmy. HC 73.
JimmyJam
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Headlight Upgrade help needed please !!

Postby bodyworx » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:46 pm

JimmyJam wrote:Hi all, could you please help me. I noticed that both of my headlights were of slightly different brightness. On inspection of the main dual filament bulbs, I noticed little filament bits rolling around inside one, and the other had blackened quite a bit. So I need to replace them. I have been told that I should upgrade them to the slightly more powerful halogen light, I believe 50w/55w, and I also believe that they are a H4 fitting. Could somebody please advise me on what I need, where to get them, and do I need to also change the side light small bulbs, to match the light output colouring. Dont get me wrong, I am no modding type of person, but I believe this would be an advantage to the ususal candle light power it has. I really appreciate all your help, and would be completely stuck without it. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again. Jimmy. HC 73.

Hi Jimmy,
If you already have H4 bulbs in ,then its a straight replacement job,
Are the bulbs long and thin ? or like a bubble shape?
thin are H4, bubble shaped ones are the old style (non halogen), either way better to change in pairs.
You dont need to change the sidelight bulbs at the same time, but sods law that one will go soon enough and their easy to change anyway so no harm in doing them if you wanted too,
Andy.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

BULUBS

Postby 1256man » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:55 pm

more space more cars
1256man
GT Viva
GT Viva

Correct wattage bulbs

Postby JimmyJam » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your reply, yes there are ones on ebay, the 2 things I also wanted to ask was, what wattage am i to look out for, as I dont want to put strain on the electrical system, but want it to be brighter, and secondly, can I change the side lights for better ones, the small bulbs in the headlights, or shall i leave them as they are. Thanks for the replies, as I am impatiently going to a car shop tomorrow, and want to get the right things. Thanks a million. Jimmy
JimmyJam
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:14 am

New bulbs arent the only thing, it also depends on the headlights themselves.
Is this for a Viva HC? - with the original HC "plastic bowl" headlights? Or is it a Viva HB, with original metal bowls, or Viva HC with early "metal bowl", headlights. The older metal bowl lamps are old and the silvering would have faded, and they get spider web crazing under the silvering (rust). Also, metal bowl headlamps are not suitable for halogen bulbs, as the excessive heat degrades the silvering very quickly. The HC plastic bowl ones were better at retaining their reflectiveness. You mention in your first post that one was brighter than the other, so its hinting that one has obviuosly dulled. New brighter bulbs will only partly improve things, you may need replacement headlamps.
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 am

And another thing that leads to dim lights is degradation of the wiring, connectors and switchgear. As the connectors age they tend to get dirty, which build up resistance and decreases the voltage at the lamp. I read somewhere that the cable itself can do the same, though cleaning all the various contacts first might be worthwhile.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help