HB Gt Fuel guage reading full

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Chris, - There isnt a any multi-plugs on the Viva GT instruments, - all were seperate instruments mounted on a frame and all wired & connected individually. One thing to note, the whole metal frame that the instruments fit to, must be earthed.
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Sorry, didn't realise it was a GT :oops:
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Andy,
I have just looked in my HB GT Mk1 Manual and the sender unit is connected to earth (-ve) at one end and to the Gauge at the other - the other side of the gauge goes to Fuse 2. If you turn the ignition off the gauge reads empty so it follows that full scale on the gauge indicates that it is taking most current i.e. sender is at minimum resistance. If you disconnect the gauge wire from the sender in the tank the gauge should read empty - if it still reads full then there is a short to earth either in the wire or in the gauge. Disconnect the wire from the back of the gauge - if it still reads full the short is in the gauge - if it reads empty its in the wiring.
Fred
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Previous

Return to Electrical help