Modern stereo fitting??

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Modern stereo fitting??

Postby dirtyroger » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Just picke dup my new 1974 HC Saloon Deluxe and really need some music in it. I idieally would like a modern head unit, some coaxial speakers and a sub in the boot. Has anybody got a set up like this and could you please show/explain to me how i would install this.

What headunits have people installed, i don't want it too visable so was thinking in the glovebox or along the front parcel shelf? Any other ideas of places to install.

Where have people placed their speakers, the door cards in the fron tof mine have had holes cut for 4"(?) speakers but this isn't ideal as they get in the way of the window winders. I was thinking boxed speakers placed on the rear parcel shelf. Any other ideas?

How have you all wired it, do any wires exicst that you can you for a modern headunit? Any pics? I thinking at the same time of wiring up an antena and a cigerette lighter anybody else done this?

Thanks in advance

Colin
8)
dirtyroger
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Modern stereo fitting??

Postby viva les vegas » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:25 am

I've got a double DIN Kenwood with a large screen mounted under the dash and currently using the single factory fit speaker. I've got a pair of "decent" speakers that I'm looking at fitting in the dash, above the round air vents. Haven't worked out where to fit (or if) any rear speakers yet, but wherever they go, they won't be on display. I'll try to upload a picture of the headunit later, I'm using my phone for this at the moment :-)
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dirtyroger » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Cheers Vegas, That would be good to see your install so if you get pictures post em here please :D
dirtyroger
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 am

Hopefully this'll be of some help for you. Gimme a bell or text if you want to have a better look, I'm back up in Bristol now.
Attachments

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dirtyroger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Jesus thats massive, think i be going for a normal size fitting. Its the wiring i'm confused about, do you just have power, ground and speaker wires? or do you have a memory wire as well. Do you have an antena?

Thanks for the photo
dirtyroger
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:55 pm

yup :D I like to be able to see the screen and use the controls without having to look, and wearing gloves (not that I do though) At the moment, it's wired to a permanent live, but I've just found an ignition live that should be suitable to run the cigarette lighter and stereo, then I can use the permanent live for the sat nav idea I have :D so yeah, the main power and memory wires are joined together, earthed with one of the screws mounting the stereo to the dash, and currently only one speaker attached. Somewhere upstairs, I've got the right parts to connect to the ISO connector block so I can eventually put all the wiring in for full surround sound. Looking at also getting steering wheel controls at some point as this stereo has that capability.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:02 am

In the Firenza I've got quite a basic Sony radio/cassette, wired to an ignition-controlled power source only at the moment, so it forgets everything when you turn it off. The loom itself has nothing for a stereo (I believe the optional fitting kit came with extra wires) so you'll have to do that yourself unless the car has remnants from the previous radio. There's a handy earth point in the form of a captive nut welded into the bodywork, up behind the dashboard. This is where the dash loom and wiper motor earths are connected.

Right now I've got speakers in the rear quarter trim panels (as it's a 2-door car) but when I had my first car (2-door HC saloon) I had them in pods on the parcel shelf. I need to put some in the doors as well, as there isn't enough volume when moving. Strange that your door speakers foul the windows - I've only seen them fitted in two places and they don't cause a problem there. One is in the lower corner right at the front where there is a hole in the door metalwork, and the other is up towards the rear, near the outer door handle. I guess it depends on how far the speakers protrude into the door cavity.

I found that having the radio down at the bottom of the centre of the dash makes it quite far away, so I've got a remote control for mine, mounted on the side of the steering column shroud, which works quite nicely. I've also experimented with fitting the unit in the right-hand dash cubbyhole at one point.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby billy_bunter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 am

If you have a 2 door some mid to bass range 6 to 9 inch speakers mounted in the rear quarter trim panels. cards give plenty of sound and will also use the boot a bit like a sound box. If I remember correctly I still have the speakers somewhere :shock:
billy_bunter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby dann01 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:57 am

If you wanna hide the stereo and speakers, I have before now mounted a unit in the glove box, and made mdf mounting brackets so the speakers were fitted high in the corners of the front foot wells. Theres achres of space up there, and they are out of sight so as not to ruin the originality of the car.

The speaker brackets are a bugger to fit if you aren't double jointed in every vertebrae of your back, but it's worth it if you really want the car to look standard and not have to cut holes in door cards so you can listen to some tunes.

If you really really want to push some watts out though, have you thought about the boot. Once made a mounting box to fit behind the back seats. Twin 9 inch with an amp, and it gave the rear seat passengers a cheap thrill when you bumped up the bass. Only thing is, you need to make sure anything loose is really screwed down or it rattles free again.

Just some thoughts.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Return to Electrical help