Dynamo rating? (Upgrading)

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Postby Alexander » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 pm

vivaha wrote:Alex, a split charge system is by far your best option, leave your vehicle battery as it is and wire all your accessories to the secondary battery.
Lucas used to do a special relay for this purpose, part no. SRB630. although Lucas no longer exists it was made under licence by somebody else anyway so is still available. They come with full instructions in the packet, I have fitted dozens of these in the past, its a piece of cake.
Tim

Oh, ok. Then i will do that, that sounds like the best for me :)
Thanks for all the help you guys :D

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Dynamo rating?

Postby Alexander » Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi, now i have got a "new" dynamo at home, and will start to work on the brackets later tonight. But i just want to know what i should to with the cables? I have 2 connections on the dynamo, B+ and D+, B+ is to the battery, and D+ to a lamp, that gets power when the ignition is on, am i right?
But then there are the old cables, that was to the voltage regulator. What should i do with them? If i remember right, there are 5 cabels, on 3 connections. So where should they go? One of the cables should be from the old alternator and to the regulator, so that one i dont need, right? And the other ones, should i mount they on the B+ to? Or how should i do, a wiring diagram or something like that whould help alot i think :)
But i will start on the brackets as long, and then we will see if someone might know how the cables should be.. If it helps the new dynamo is from a BMW, aroung 1990-1995 i think..

//Alex :)
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Dynamo rating?

Postby Alexander » Wed May 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Noone? :?
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Dynamo rating? (Upgrading)

Postby vivaha » Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Alexander

Best to run in a new bigger cable straight from your battery positive terminal to B+ on the new alternator.
The wire to the D+ terminal comes from the dash warning light and is the small wire brown/yellow on either the D terminal or WL terminal of your original regulator. Find it and run it down to the alternator D+. All the other wires on the original reg can be taped back out the way. Hope this helps.

Tim
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Alexander » Fri May 14, 2010 7:22 am

vivaha wrote:Hi Alexander

Best to run in a new bigger cable straight from your battery positive terminal to B+ on the new alternator.
The wire to the D+ terminal comes from the dash warning light and is the small wire brown/yellow on either the D terminal or WL terminal of your original regulator. Find it and run it down to the alternator D+. All the other wires on the original reg can be taped back out the way. Hope this helps.

Tim

Hi
Yes, the plan is to use a bigger cable. Ok, thanks.
What do you mean with "can be taped back out the way"? I dont really understand.. 8) Do you mean that i just should put them on the battery? Or that they wont be needed?
And if i instead of using the original cable to the D+, could i just mount a lamp in the car, give it power when the ignition is on, and then "earth" it on the D+ on the alternator?

Yes, it did help. But i didnt understand everything as you can see.. :roll:

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vivaha » Sat May 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Alexander

When i say taped back out the way, i mean they are not connected to anything just tape the ends so they can't touch against any metal or each other. Yes you can wire a seperate lamp in as you describe if that is easier.
Hope that is of some help.

Tim
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Alexander » Sat May 15, 2010 9:31 pm

vivaha wrote:Hi Alexander

When i say taped back out the way, i mean they are not connected to anything just tape the ends so they can't touch against any metal or each other. Yes you can wire a seperate lamp in as you describe if that is easier.
Hope that is of some help.

Tim

Hi
Ok, thanks for the help. One question left just (i think..) If it now charges around 15V, is that a problem, or will it work anyway? Becouse it charged 15V when i tested it.. So i hope that nothing is wrong again

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vivaha » Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Alex

Alternators are rated to have a maximum charge of 14.4 Volts. When they overcharge they can reach 17 or 18 V
so 15 volt although a bit high is probably OK.

Tim
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Alexander » Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 am

vivaha wrote:Hi Alex

Alternators are rated to have a maximum charge of 14.4 Volts. When they overcharge they can reach 17 or 18 V
so 15 volt although a bit high is probably OK.

Tim

Hi
Ok, thanks for all the help! :)

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Alexander » Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi again :)
I have some problem, just as usual for me :roll:
The thing is, that when i dont have the voltage regulator connected (And wires are not touching eachother/anything) The lights and everything that whould work when i turn the key dont work. But if the voltage regulator is connected everything works. So what can the problem be? And how should i fix it? Maybe its just something really easy, like a cable that should be connected to something? :)

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical help