Electronic Ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby pbottomley » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:37 pm

wtf is edis??

Knocked off far eastern trainers maybe?
pbottomley

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:44 am

EDIS is, I think, Electronic Distributor-less ignition system. I've been thinking about this for the hatch when it's done, something like a Megajolt kit to do the work as it's pretty cheap and easy to get. From what I read the advantage is that it's completely mappable, so rather than relying on pipes and weights to give timing advance, the system has a throttle position sensor and crank sensor, and you can map exactly what advance to give for each combination.

I like the idea of it, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it on a standard engine. That said, most modern cars have something like this, whether basic or performance engine, so maybe it is.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby pbottomley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:00 pm

OHH right I understand now, and frankly as a OHV engine user I think a nice sorted system would go down a treat.... :D

The amount of time I spend tuning changing and adjusting things is a huge percentage of the time on servicing a Viva OHV. :evil:
pbottomley

Postby House » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:25 pm

I put electronic ignition on my 1256 once, wired it up wrong, blew it up and laughed about how i'd just witnessed £60 pop and smoke like a good'n. :imsmiling:

These days i use points and condensor. Never had a problem since.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby black8driver » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:43 pm

use a chevrolet hei module they are about 8 quid delivered from ebay us..
will use the points to switch but keep a decent effective dwell throughout the rev range.. and just use a std electronic non ballest coil..

si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 pm

pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Looks good, basic, should be reliable, seem to know what they are talking about. Cheap enough as well.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby simon cummings » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:06 pm

This might be a dumb question,but why do they list seperately for 1057 1159 and 1256 engines?
Are the distributors different on each engine?
V6 HC 2.8 INJECTION
65 HA DELUXE
HA 248.
simon cummings
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I guess they listed them separately as it just ups the number of adverts and therefore exposure they get to eBay...

One will need to read the advert in DETAIL to realise what you are ordering it says Lucas and Bosch only, nothing about AC Delco....

BUT call them and say you have a AC Declo D204 type dizzy and possibly the number off the side of the dizzy (stamped on the side) and job should be a good one.

To Answer your question directly ... yes there are lots of different dizzies but they are all basically D204 Ac Delco's... later HA Vans and Chevette's also had the option of a Bosch dizzy.

:thanx:
pbottomley

Postby simon cummings » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Next question is how do I convert to negative earth,and keep the dynamo,all the posts I can find here only explain it for altenator conversions?
V6 HC 2.8 INJECTION
65 HA DELUXE
HA 248.
simon cummings
SL Viva
SL Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical help