Electronic Ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby oli8925 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Has anyone got any first hand experience of this one? Would like elec ignition but the way the Viva's going I need to save all the money I can :(
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 am

Bought one last week and will be going into my new engine, but was going to try it on my old one first but been on crutches since friday as I dislocated my knee but will try it out once I am mobile again.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:09 pm

I just spent all of this morning attempting to get this to work :D

appears it appears to be dead and duff :(

Me and a fellow viva owner played around and he knows what he is doing and we couldn't get the hall effect to work no matter what we tried. I expect it was a duff unit, alas I cannot return it as we cut the wires and made new ends so it fitted snugly in the HA....

Good news is we slapped back the points gave it a quick time and off trundled Marvin, so no hard there then... :woohoo:

So over to other to try and see what they can get to work.
pbottomley

Postby oli8925 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:25 pm

In that case I don't think I'll bother with it. Would rather spend more on something that works properly and improves things seeing as it will eventually be going on the tuned 1256.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Not all is lost part of the problem is the fact I have a coil with a ballast resistor, therefore its only getting 6 - 9 volts tops when I am cranking the engine over, and it does say it needs 12 volts. When I get sometime I am going to try a direct live feed form the battery to the unit and see if that does the trick...

Their paperwork also suggests one should ruse a 12volt coil....

So not all is lost :thanx:
pbottomley

Postby 1256man » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 pm

hello ive fitted one to my chevette works ok use a standard 12 volt points coil and make sure on hc vivas you get a 12 volt feed at the coil + connection as they have a resistance wire in the loom according to the haynes manual if you have a ballast resister fitted to your coil as ha hb cars take it off first
more space more cars
1256man
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1303r » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm

fitted the cheap ebay kit to my 1973 hc viva.
fitted into the dissy nice an easy, just remove the point and condensor and replace with the tronic bits
i removed the top bulkhead plug and moved the ignition feed pin along one to get a 12v ignition feed. moved D4 to D5
finished up looking like this.
also need to swap to a 12v coil. then connect the wires from the tronic ignition to the + and - on the coil.
1303r
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:47 pm

My kit is also working (well the replacement kit is! the first kit I got we are going to assume was duff)... So far so good works exactly like it says and this means never adjust points again!! :D
pbottomley

Postby Icedmunkie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Plopped mine in and off i drove. No moving wires or coils! Very pleased and it is smoother even on idle which always was a little funny!
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1303r » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:24 pm

yeh i'm not quite sure it was nessacery to move the wires around.
the manual led me to belive there should only be 6volts feeding the coil and 12volts when cranking. but after checking with my volt meter it measured 12volts constant. i thought maybe a po had removed the resistor wire, still not sure whats going on there?
anyone else checked what voltage they have at the coil?
1303r
SL Viva
SL Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical help