INDICATORS DON'T WORK

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

INDICATORS DON'T WORK

Postby griffonmark » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 am

I have pre 1974 HC Viva wiring. Hazard lights work ok with all lamps working brightly, although perhaps a tad quick. The battery is new and fully charged. When using the stalk the lamps light up but don't flash. Changing from left to right induces one flash. With the engine running, the lamps will flash slowly a few times. I have fitted another flasher unit and still have the same problem. I have improved the earth at the rear lamps, makes no difference, but seeing as hazard works alright I'm not sure its and earth problem. I'm thinking next step is to strip down indicator switch unit but has anyone any ideas in the meantime? Regards, Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: INDICATORS DON'T WORK

Postby dann01 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:41 am

Don't strip down the column until you have checked the earth feeds to the front indicators. Have had this problem before myself from almost every angle, ie this works, that don't. Now this works, but that won't.

If the front indicators are the single lamp units, the eath is a hard wire feed from the loom, but check it's firm at the indicator end on both sides. If the twin lamp units with the sidelights, the earth is taken off the indicator body being bolded to the wing and front panel. Easiest way to ensure a good earth feed here, is to solder an earth from the bulb holders, and both these direct to the body somewere under the bonet.

Also, check the flasher unit by swapping with the harzard unit that you say works fine. Sometimes even a new flasher unit can be duff. Check also the spades are firm when you reatach the unit.

If none of this works, then I guess its time to strip the cowling off the column.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Re: INDICATORS DON'T WORK

Postby griffonmark » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks Mr Chairman, I'll have a go as soon as I can escape the rolling pin. Regards, Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help