No spark on Viva HA

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

No spark on Viva HA

Postby Johan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 am

I've got a problem with my Viva. There is no spark and I am runnig out of ideas to try. I have fitted new points, new condenser, new rotor, new distributor cap, new ignition leads and new spark plugs. I've checked the grounding between the engine and body, trued to bypass the ignition swiched and now tried a different ignition coil wich resulted in a very hot and smoking ballast resistor when I turned on the ignition. Any suggestions?

Might be worth mentioning that this is the fourth Vauxhall I owned which suffered from the same problem. HC 1256, HC 1800, Magnum 2300 and now this one. The problem on the HC 1800 was solved by replacing the entire distributor after everything else in the ignition system. It ran for some time, then the same problem again. It is now scrapped together with the 1256. The Magnum is sold.
Johan
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: No spark on Viva HA

Postby Johan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Problem solved. I removed the ballast resistor and it bursted to life! :D
Johan
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: No spark on Viva HA

Postby StefanM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:14 pm

The viva HA has a separate resistor on one of the coil connections, very important if you have an original coil.
Later Vivas has a resistor in the loom somewhere .

I have new resistors in stock if you want some? I do not think it is very wise to rund the original coil without resistor for a long period.
/ Stefan
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help