starter motor to pre engaged help viva ha

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

starter motor to pre engaged help viva ha

Postby nunkster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:32 pm

hi in need of some help please i have fitted a pre engaged starter and taken off the old solenoid but that leaves me with a blue and white wire and a red and white also two thick brown looped as one :? now do i go from the battery to the starter with the main live :? im lost :oops: lol please help
nunkster
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: starter motor to pre engaged help viva ha

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:13 pm

This is a really good point, I've also had to put a pre-engaged one on the 305, and hadn't really thought about the wiring side, yet
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm

nunkster wrote:hi in need of some help please i have fitted a pre engaged starter and taken off the old solenoid but that leaves me with a blue and white wire and a red and white also two thick brown looped as one :? now do i go from the battery to the starter with the main live :? im lost :oops: lol please help

please remember even if you get this pre-engage starter sorted, it going to eat teeth on the flywheel!... the flywheel teeth on the HA, HA and early HC's was chamfered away from the engine, so that the bendix once fired towards the engine would mesh smoothly..

Its the opposite on pre engaged starters they fire away from the engine not towards and therefore require the teeth chamfer to be the other way around (e.g. on the engine side of the teeth on the flywheel).

Why are you using this style of starter ? makes more sense to fit the correct starter :D
pbottomley

Postby nunkster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Yep your right Mr Bottomley i think i will hunt ebay for another ha starter :thanx: ...Is there any other model car starter that will go on the ha :?: Best wishes to all Paul
nunkster
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:44 pm

HA same as HB and HC (apart from last ones) so just put a note up on the forum and or try and get hold of Paul Cullum (viva2300) who odes the spares he is bound to have one swinging around...
pbottomley

Return to Electrical help