viva ha ballast resistor

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

viva ha ballast resistor

Postby nunkster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi boys and girls i have a prob with the ballast resistor if i start the car it runs no probs but when i turn it off and leave the ignition on the ballast resistor starts to smoke i have used 2 and same any ideas...i did fit an alternator joined the two thick brown wires taped the other two from regulator box also cut the two brown wires going to the solenoid thick one to big spade on alternator for the charge and small one for bat light ..charge to bat is 14v and the bat light goes out when started .. best wishes to all paul
nunkster
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: viva ha ballast resistor

Postby vivaha » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi Paul, if the distributor stops in a position where the points are closed then the ballast resistor will get hot and so will the coil, either don't leave the ignition on without the engine running or pull the low tension wire off the distributor, this will break the circuit. Cheers Tim
Vauxhall viva HA 1966
Mercedes 190 1989
MGF 1996
Bedford Astramax 1991
Vauxhall Nova 1989
Alfa Romeo 146 1995
vivaha
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: viva ha ballast resistor

Postby nunkster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi Tim thanks for the reply and info ..best wishes paul

vivaha wrote:Hi Paul, if the distributor stops in a position where the points are closed then the ballast resistor will get hot and so will the coil, either don't leave the ignition on without the engine running or pull the low tension wire off the distributor, this will break the circuit. Cheers Tim
nunkster
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Electrical help