HC Viva,won't start or turn over

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: HC Viva,won't start or turn over

Postby MikeOC » Mon May 14, 2012 9:05 pm

HBPeter wrote:Wonder if its the ignition switch itself?

Peter

what,the actual ignition barrel unit that the key itself goes into do you mean? i guess that would be pretty tricky to replace :shock: as don't you have to somehow snap off or drill off the bolts on them? i tried replacing one years ago on a car after it had been broke into,and ended up doing even more damage to the steering column trying to get it off!! :roll: one to leave to the professionals i think!! as anything fiddly or techy i tend to make things worse LOL i'll see if i can get one of the lads who are local on one of other car forums i belong to if they come down if they've got a leccy tester and check to try and find the problem before i start pulling more bits off the car!! :roll:
be a damn shame to have to give up its original key though if it means a new ignition barrel,the spares never even been used and is like brand new.
current cars...
1978 Viva HC 1300GLS 2 door,Red with BVR
1985 Ford Orion mk1 1.6 Ghia,quartz gold
2003 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi 5 door,moonstone-the daily driver.
MikeOC
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Switch is seperate from key barrel so you can keep the key whatever.
Have you tried using a jump lead to apply power directly to the back of the starter motor?
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bluemoontezza » Tue May 15, 2012 9:17 am

On the same line as Shamm,at ignition switch end,disconect multi plug and feed the white with red tracer,now if it works/cranks switch is your problem terry
1972 Viva 2300 SL 2 Door HC669
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4 Door
These cars can Torque!
bluemoontezza
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi there Mike

tried ringing you re. popping over with the old multimeter later in the week. Missed you :(

Anyway - left my number on your answerphone if you get back soon.

Paul.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MikeOC » Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Paul Dawson wrote:Hi there Mike

tried ringing you re. popping over with the old multimeter later in the week. Missed you :(

Anyway - left my number on your answerphone if you get back soon.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
have sent you a PM mate. cheers.
current cars...
MikeOC
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MikeOC » Fri May 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Paul has called round earlier tonight with his multimeter[was nice to meet you,and many thanks for that Paul,much appreciated!! :thanx: ] and we have checked over everything and its looking pretty much sure that it is the solenoid thats goosed.so the replacement one i fitted is also knacked :evil: gonna complain to ebay seller now that advertised it as new+unused when it clearly wasn't,deffo had been used before as it had underseal on a bit of it and general look of being on a car for a long time :x i do not like being taken for a mug :evil:
igntion switch and wiring all seems fine,correct power going through that.so i will chuck another solenoid on it over the weekend and see if it will fire up this time!!
current cars...
MikeOC
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Mike

I left you a garbled message on your answering service - driving home it struck me that I can't remember all the wiring connections on your solenoid. What I meant to say was to check that the terminal with the multiple connections on it is the one connected to the positive terminal on the battery - and the one with the single connection is the one running to the starter motor.

It doesn't matter which way round they are - but as I was driving home I got this idea into my head that yours might not be wired up quite right. In my mind's eye I have this image of yours having the multiple connections on the same terminal as the starter motor - might just be my memory playing tricks though.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MikeOC » Sat May 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Paul Dawson wrote:Hi Mike

I left you a garbled message on your answering service - driving home it struck me that I can't remember all the wiring connections on your solenoid. What I meant to say was to check that the terminal with the multiple connections on it is the one connected to the positive terminal on the battery - and the one with the single connection is the one running to the starter motor.

It doesn't matter which way round they are - but as I was driving home I got this idea into my head that yours might not be wired up quite right. In my mind's eye I have this image of yours having the multiple connections on the same terminal as the starter motor - might just be my memory playing tricks though.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul.

i will check it mate but when i did the swap i made sure i fitted the wires back exactly where they were fitted before...i hadn't touched it at all previously and it ran ok up to that point.
but i will double check again and let you know,and if solenoid off other car sorts the problem.i'll take a note of the way its wired up too on blue car before i take it off that.
current cars...
MikeOC
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sat May 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi, I'm a bit late coming in to this thread so please forgive me if I repeat what has been already said. Have you checked the engine earth strap or a continuity test for earth between the engine, body and battery negative. This can cause some headaches if the strap breaks.
Good luck, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Sun May 20, 2012 8:00 am

The earths checked out fine on the meter. Which isn't to say they are carrying at full capacity of course, but certainly not enough problem to make the solenoid refuse to trigger. There is 12v from the ignition switch to the solenoid and a good earth on the solenoid.

But when 12v hits the solenoid there's nothing at the terminal for the starter.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical help