7 dial dash wiring.

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

7 dial dash wiring.

Postby 1972nail » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm

I' m sorting out the wiring for my Firenza. The 7 dial loom I have is from a Magnum with a Battery condition gauge whereas I want to use a Sport SL 7 dial with Ammeter. I've searched all my manuals and can only find the later Magnum 7 dial wiring diagram.

Question - is there a difference in the loom between a Battery condition and Ammeter 7 dial?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: 7 dial dash wiring.

Postby 1972nail » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Found another 7 dial wiring loom, this time it is one for an ammeter with single steering column switch and console mounted wiper switch. In other words a proper Sport SL loom. I thought I had one somewhere but 30 years of storage had got it mislaid among some miscellaneous parts.

So, knowing that the Magnum loom and 7 dial dash with the battery meter is probably more reliable what was the main cause for problems with the ammeter? Was it a fundemental design flaw, bad connections overheating, cheap components in the ammeter? Other than dump the ammeter in favour of a battery meter is there anything I can do to make it more reliable?

Now that I've got the complete Sport SL set up I need to make the decision on whether I use the original or convert to the later Magnum dash so all comments and advice welcomed.

P.S. I've got one Magnum dash with the older rev counter, the correct way up and another with the upside down rev counter so for those anoraks who are interested in facts early Magnums could have been fitted with a battery meter and older rev counter.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Electrical help