RESISTANCE WIRE BYPASS

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: RESISTANCE WIRE BYPASS

Postby Andrew Morris » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Paul Dawson wrote:Andrew - I've just fitted the Accuspark kit to my 1972 Viva 1256, using the Lucas 12v 3ohm coil.

As David says, just swap the two wires in D4 to D5, fit your new 12v coil, fit the Accuspark module, then you connect the black lead from the Accuspark to the negative terminal on the coil, the existing white wire (which is now a 12v ignition live) goes on one of the positive connections on the coil and the red lead from the Accuspark goes on the other positive connection.

Just be aware that the +ve and -ve low tension connections on the coil may be reverse to your original coil.

I did mine yesterday and it fired first time.

Brilliant Paul, thanks yep got it now just needed the clarification.
Thanks
Andrew
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vivapete3 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:59 am

Hi 1972nail, brilliant detail on risks and remedy about the "mystery" ballast wire built in HC model, you've probably solved my ignition issues on my 1975 Viva at a stroke, advice shared in this way shows the invaluable need our club and other specific car clubs are to there members, once again thanx, vivapete3
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby dann01 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:07 am

That loom looks like mine when it went... Only that went while we were doing the LeJOG end to end run a few years back... Very alarming to suddenly have the car fill with smoke and not know why, was funny though, I was with my ex-son in law, and we get on, but to see the smoke was like something from a national lampoons movie.

Me. "Smoke, we have smoke."
Paul on the CB to Mike and Fred "Smoke we have smoke, possible fire."
Me, alarmed "FIRE?"
Paul on the CB "We have fire."
Me. "Fire, we have fire? YOU SEE FIRE?"
Paul "NO, I SEE SMOKE, YOU SAID FIRE!"
Me. "I said fire cos you said fire?"

And so on... Turned out the insulation tape smokes very well when the resistance wire burns through it.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm

That was at Abbeymoor ski centre if I remember (and I don t do a lot of that these days :roll: ) - Mike and I went and had a coffee at the café - as all mates do - whilst you lay under the dashboard and sorted it out :P :lol: :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jamin008 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:08 pm

My car has a wire straight off the starter to the coil as the previous owner said there was something wrong with the feed to the coil...I'm guessing its this that caused his problem. I will test tonight, fingers crossed I can remove yet more dodgy wiring!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge 1972
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:45 pm

jamin008 wrote:My car has a wire straight off the starter to the coil as the previous owner said there was something wrong with the feed to the coil...I'm guessing its this that caused his problem. I will test tonight, fingers crossed I can remove yet more dodgy wiring!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge 1972

:goodluck:

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamin008 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:15 am

Well I moved it to D5, removed the extra power wire from the coil and it started, proper test will be when I next drive it I guess. Thank you!

One thing though, my terminal d4 showed 12v....does it only show 9v when plugged in to the coil and ignition on (as mine was disconnected when I tested and got 12v)?
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:35 pm

You suggested that the previous owner had wiring troubles. Maybe he had bypassed the wire internally. Was the additional wire from the starter still in place, as it could transfer 12V back up to the D4 terminal?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamin008 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 am

My D5 has two wires but the additional wire is disconnected with a bit of insulting tape over the end. The car has a different engine (18ne), I'll have a look tonight and see where the ignition feed for the starter comes from.

The previous owner clearly had wiring problems but from what I can see that was nothing to do with the car or loom, just a lack of knowledge when he rebuilt it from restoration. So far I have managed to remove all the additional cable he installed (all unfused) and use the original connectors that remained but were not connected!
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Previous

Return to Electrical help