Which battery do you recommend?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Which battery do you recommend?

Postby mactat2 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:58 am

Hi All, dont usually have a problem starting the magnum, but of late if you get a cold morning it really struggles to turn over but will usually fire up eventually and is then fine for the rest of the day. Except that is this morning was very frosty but no sign of it firing up. What battery's do you guys recommend for a 2300 magnum/viva/firenza?
cheers
mactat2
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Which battery do you recommend?

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:10 pm

I've just got a standard Halfords battery (038, I think) on my HPF. But, I don't use it a lot, and not at all on cold mornings. I also have a solar battery charger connected to it when it's not in use, to try to keep it topped up, though I have no idea if it's making any difference. Also worth checking earth straps and battery / starter cable connector cleanliness.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby mactat2 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi Droopsnoot, cheers i'll have a look see what the specs are on various make 038's. Guess the cold has finally killed the battery i've got on :roll:
mactat2
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:27 pm

There is a HD version of the 038 but not sure of the number.

I've had great service from Varta batteries over the years and would strongly recommend them.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:41 pm

HD version is 015

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby ShaBro » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:07 am

droopsnoot wrote:I've just got a standard Halfords battery (038, I think) on my HPF. But, I don't use it a lot, and not at all on cold mornings. I also have a solar battery charger connected to it when it's not in use, to try to keep it topped up, though I have no idea if it's making any difference. Also worth checking earth straps and battery / starter cable connector cleanliness.

I've had a couple of solar chargers I got from maplins plugged into two different vehicles for the last couple of years and they seem to work well..... as long as you position them well that is.
ShaBro
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:51 pm

I keep an old battery in my greenhouse charged up using a solar charger for my 12v garden lighting......

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:52 am

I try to run the car once a month over winter, and I've noticed that the last couple of times it's needed a jump start. That might be down to it being cold (I only do it in the dry, while it's off the road for winter) or it might be because the battery is on the way out (stamped May 2008). I might whip the charger off it and see if there's anything left by next month.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:16 pm

For cars laid up over the winter keeping the battery in good nick can be a problem. I now use a CTEK MXS 5 charger which can be left permanently attached. One unit replaces the various bits of kit I used to use to restore and maintain batteries left for long periods of inactivity.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Which battery is best for a 1256 Viva, I have an 054 battery which is now five years old, getting tired and needs to be replaced.

It seems like a very small battery physically but there isn't much room in there, does anyone have an alternative?
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help