What's JP got now - and where do they go?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

What's JP got now - and where do they go?

Postby jpsmit » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:49 am

So, as you know I am trying to make sense of my wiring. This also includes emptying my electrickery part box and figuring out what things are and where they go.

Picture number one:

Alternator Controller (OK that is a pretty broad hint) but, where does it go?

Picture number two:

This I am not sure what it is

but here is the bottom:

Part number three: (this is attached to the section of wire harness but right now I mean the "metal box unit" - there are two others in the picture):

But, while we are the subject of this harness, there is a plug:

What is it for and where does it plug in?

Many more questions coming I am sure but, thanks for this start!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: What's JP got now - and where do they go?

Postby 1972nail » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:20 am

No it being a HB owner I haven't a clue, but it will be worthwhile dipping all those connectors in some citric acid to clean them up. Will save a lot of cleaning by hand and a lot more thorough too.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ADRIAN » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 am

This is for the Viva GT Mk1 the old style...early, for the 10ACR Alternator control assy. All parts are bolted onto a panel located on inner wing near battery. Later versions of Viva GT (mk2) had the controls & diodes in the back of the alternator, as we are all now used to. I dont know of any MK1 GT's that still have the old alternator system still on them. My old red GT still had this type, and it was a load of trouble. The alternator was so underpowered that If the fan belt was even slightly slack, the amount of light from the headlights would flicker & fluctuate. The heavy 10 ACR alternator suffered from the mounting lugs snapping off, (one broke on me once on the M25) Hence the reason why most were removed and converted.
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Being a Canadian Viva GT, J.P. I think your car will be a later Mk II model - this can be confirmed by the chassis number.

If it's a MK I car the chassis number plate will be on the slam panel in front of the radiator and will look like the image below. If it's a MK II car the chassis number will be on top of dash near the screen pillar viewable through the windshield.

For both types of Viva GT the chassis number will start 93711 then, if it's a Mk 1, will continue with 8V or 9V before a six digit URN, or if a MK II, 9E or 0E then six digit URN.
Attachments
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:18 am

Thanks for the replies - and grateful to know the alternator controller is not needed. Any ideas on the other ones?

And, yes, Colin it is a MK II - and, FWIW, Canadian GTs (at least) have the prefix 93731 - not sure whether this is Left Hand Drive or Export or both?

Oh, and, part of the problem is that the cut up harnesses (and the pile of parts) came from a variety of cars - some of which I know were not GT's - so, that spade connector could perhaps even be for the speedo in an SL or ???

thanks all.

BTW calling for - 21 deg C tomorrow - don't think I will be in the garage! On the other hand this weekend literally seems to be the worst of our winter.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:19 pm

That's interesting about the Canadian GT chassis number, J.P,
jpsmit wrote:And, yes, Colin it is a MK II - and, FWIW, Canadian GTs (at least) have the prefix 93731 - not sure whether this is Left Hand Drive or Export or both?

I'm sure you're right - LHD, export or both. We'll have to ask for code 31 to be added to the chassis number section (to satisfy geeks like me!) :wink:
http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=149

Keep warm, J.P!
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:24 am

Well folks, tonight is a two part question.

1. Part A - reverse lights - where do they go (and yes I know on the back of the car :) ) specifically?

2. Front signal lights - the rectangular ones - my lenses are OK as are the receptacles - but the rubber boots on the back are pretty rough - I have a semi formed plan to repair them but wondered if they are still available? I do note that the lenses at least seem to also be used on the Reliant Robin, Scimitar, Kitten and Bond Bug - I can post pictures if necessary
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:04 am

I've had a scimitar se5 and a GT, i can confirm that the indicator units are the same :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:36 pm

lord13 wrote:I've had a scimitar se5 and a GT, i can confirm that the indicator units are the same :)

Thanks! But, are the rubber boots?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:02 pm

001.JPG
001.JPG (123.73 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
As Lord 13 said they're the same indicator units & the rubbers are similar, but I don't think the rubbers are available separately, reverse lights are wipac units fitted just below the bumper with the inside edges the same distance apart as the inside edges of the rear lights,
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help