What's JP got now - and where do they go?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: What's JP got now - and where do they go?

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Better pic
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 pm

that is helpful! thanks
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Quick update - sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! I have a good friend who has a Bond Bug (arguably the nicest one in the world - but that is another story). Turn out the signal is shared by the Bond Bug and the Scimitar and other Reliants. At any rate he rummaged around his spares box and found me some decent ones - now to pick them up and back to the grind - hurray!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Kraken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:08 pm

jpsmit wrote:Quick update - sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! I have a good friend who has a Bond Bug (arguably the nicest one in the world - but that is another story). Turn out the signal is shared by the Bond Bug and the Scimitar and other Reliants. At any rate he rummaged around his spares box and found me some decent ones - now to pick them up and back to the grind - hurray!

Did you find out if the boots are the same then?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Kraken wrote:
jpsmit wrote:Quick update - sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! I have a good friend who has a Bond Bug (arguably the nicest one in the world - but that is another story). Turn out the signal is shared by the Bond Bug and the Scimitar and other Reliants. At any rate he rummaged around his spares box and found me some decent ones - now to pick them up and back to the grind - hurray!

Did you find out if the boots are the same then?

Not definitively yet, no, but I did email a picture to my friend and he didn't say anything about them being different - will keep you posted!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:08 am

jpsmit wrote:Did you find out if the boots are the same then?

Well I got the Bond boots and while they aren't exactly the same they are very very close. The lower is the Bond boot and to the top the GT - Interestingly there is only one wire coming out of the Bond boot and two on the HB. You can also see the Bond is slightly smaller. The actual fixture is slightly different also, but soooo much better than what I had!

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm

So, yesterday was a milestone as I started replacing the wire harness -meaning I am officially putting the car back together rather than taking it apart.

three questions.

1. How is the fuse box actually attached? sheet metal screws or small bolts?

2. The thermal protector (I think that is what it is called goes on top of and not under the panel it is attached to - correct?

3. How is the wire harness attached where it passes along the grille?

thanks!
cheers
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:26 am

anyone? especially the thermal protector and the fuse box - even a quick pic would be helpful
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:10 am

still hoping for some guidance around the means of attachment of the fusebox - I seem to have figured out where the thermal protector goes.

Now, could someone please let me know where this goes?
Attachments
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 am

I can't help on HB unfortunately - is there nothing around the place (a hole for example) based on where the rest of the loom sits?

Also not sure about the fusebox fixing method, but I'd suspect it would be screws rather than bolts. If it's anything like HC, using a nut and bolt would turn it into a two-man job because of where it sits on the bulkhead. I've had a look in the Haynes Firenza manual (which also covers HB GT) but it doesn't help unfortunately.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical help