Accuspark electronic ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Accuspark electronic ignition

Postby vivapete3 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:37 am

Has any one tried to convert HC 1256CC to. Electronic ignition, I'attempted to fit 2 units to my HC (having sent the first kit back as faulty) the second unit I fitted following the instructions to the letter and even fitting a "green" ballasted coil as told by accuspark this would solve the problem of non starting of the engine, the result the car is now a non runner having converted it back to original points ignition , the car has not running now and am unable to find the fault so far following new dizzy cap +new rotor arm, has any one any ideas where I go next to sort this problem, PS. Should I refit the old coil as there did not seem any problem with it, has anyone had problems with accuspark ignition kits and/or accuspark coils, thanx, vivapete3
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Accuspark electronic ignition

Postby Classic-dude » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi I have fitted accaspark with a new coil
To my ha Viva it runs but miss fire through
The carb i think it may be the distributor
Just got to find one bin
Classic-dude
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Does the 'Green Ballasted' coil have a ballast resistor attached? The HC already has a resistance wire buried within the wiring loom. If you have fitted another resistor then the spark will be very weak. A better route would be to bypass the internal resistance wire and fit a proper 12V non ballasted coil, the Accuspark Red one is suitable.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vivapete3 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:32 am

Thanx Milton Keynes and Co Antrim friends, re accuspark problem, will try a non ballasted coil, thanx so much, cheers, vivapete3!
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:36 am

Before fitting a 12V coil read this.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22328
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby AccieMad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Fitted to my HB with 1256HC engine with no major issues. It has a ballast coil.

Bear in mind the car will run like a bag of spanners/won't run until you time the engine.

Turn the distributer clock wise a few degrees, a very little at a time and give it a go, once started run time up with a strobe gun. Timing marks are clear, lower LHS on crankcase with pointer on pulley.

GT
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help