single or two speed wiper motor - switching?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

single or two speed wiper motor - switching?

Postby jamin008 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Does anyone know how a two speed wiper switch connects? Is it

Off / A / B

or

Off / A / A+B

I don't have a switch to test!
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: single or two speed wiper motor - switching?

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 pm

As far as I recall it's just a third switch position which supplies 12v to an extra contact on the motor. It's not like the heater blower fan that has a resistance for the slower speed.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamin008 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks for that.

So does the heater connect A+B in the fast position?

The electrics on my car haven't been put back together very well and I need to address pretty much everything!
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Follow the wiring and schematics in the Haynes manual - fairly easy to understand when you get you head round them :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 pm

The heater motor switch has three positions, off, slow, and not-quite-so-slow. The slow connection sends 12v from the switch, through the resistance, to the motor. The not-quite-so-slow position sends 12v from the switch directly to the motor.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamin008 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes I've got the book of jokes and it does help, however it doesn't tell me what wires connect to what terminal on the switches! The wiper is currently stumping me!

The wiring on the car is terrible so the battery is off until I'm happy but I would like to be able to test things in the meantime. It's only three wires on the wiper switch but I can't test it
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Ah, I hadn't read the bit where you said you hadn't got a switch.

OK, first thing, do you have the multi-block connector on the wiper motor, and can you see where each wire goes on that? Next thing is, do the wires near the switch have the same colours on them? What colours are on each, presuming the wiring is in tact enough to still be standard colours.

I might be wrong, but I have a vague idea that the wire for the second speed on the wipers is on a separate spade connector outside of the standard multi-block, at the motor end. I don't have photos of that bit, only of the motor already in place.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 am

So, I took a look at my wire harness tonight - here is what I found though I am not sure how helpful it is.

1. Mike is correct, there is a loose wire in addition to the plug. The circuit is made up of two subharnesses - the first (shortest) goes from switch to junction - here the loose wire is Blue with a black stripe. The longer subharness - from junction to wiper has the same wire only blue.

2. I don't have my wiper motor in the house but, the wires leading to the motor are

black (ground) spade connector
blue - loose wire - likely the high speed

yellow - red - green all part of a plug that plugs into the motor.

Assuming green is power and black is ground and blue is high speed,
we have two wires - red and yellow going into the motor - Not sure why there is two but I
wonder if one is for the parking mechanism and the other for the motor itself.

best I can do at this time - if you need me to I can dig out the motor itself tomorrow.

let me know
Cheers
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jamin008 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions and help gents.

A guy I know sent me a photo of the back of a switch plugged in so I could work out the wiring. I was hoping to replace the standard switch with a rotary switch (due to the size of the original) but I cant find a 2 position configured the same, weirdly it is configured B+A in one position and B+C in the other! The single speed motor actually has three live wires + earth. As the motor had so many terminals I incorrectly thought it was a 2 speed motor which was the basis of my question. However I have now wired it up correctly - it works perfectly and parks correctly, at one speed....slow!

What on earth the previous owner was up to I will never know. It had an unfused wire coming straight off the starter to the wiper switch and one of the original wires was attached to the switch also. The original wire went to the plug for the wiper motor but the plug was not connected - it had a wire poked in one of the terminals and then attached to one terminal on the motor. It seems the 3 lives threw him and to get it working he risked a loom fire. Also attached unfused to the starter, on the same 8 amp wire, was the washer bottle, an external rev counter, the coil and a cigarette lighter socket that was touching the metal dash.

I drove this car round for 2000 miles before I finally got the time to take it apart, ignorance was bliss!
jamin008
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Electrical help