Rear window demister

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Rear window demister

Postby vivapete3 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 am

Hi all , have tried to repair a non working rear window demister using conductive glue, however to much deterioration on the element , has any one repaired these demister succesfully or is replacement only option if they are still available,for HC 1971 saloon, all advice welcome, cheers, vivapete3.
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Rear window demister

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm

New replacements are probably not available so probably secondhand is the only way to go. The things to weigh up are - how often will it be needed to demist taking into consideration the type of weather and journeys you are likely to use the car in and what state is the rubber in as they are rare too.

If the car is to be used for the summer show season only then the demister will probably not be used all that often and you could probably do without it. But if it's a daily driver, 365 days a year, then a working demister is very desirable.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vivapete3 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 am

1972nail wrote:New replacements are probably not available so probably secondhand is the only way to go. The things to weigh up are - how often will it be needed to demist taking into consideration the type of weather and journeys you are likely to use the car in and what state is the runner in as they are rare too.

If the car is to be used for the summer show season only then the demister will probably not be used all that often and you could probably do without it. But if it's a daily driver, 365 days a year, then a working demister is very desirable.

Thanx for message, I did think as I was requesting advice how often would I use it as the car is'nt a daily driver,but the car is being renovated so it would be good to get everything working, thanx again, vivapete3.
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 am

Might have a s/h heated rear screen (that works) would need to check. I know where David is coming from - take the screen out and you will prob need a new rubber seal and maybe the head lining will give you probs as well - still if you want it all working right ....................... :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vivapete3 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 am

Fred Dukes wrote:Might have a s/h heated rear screen (that works) would need to check. I know where David is coming from - take the screen out and you will prob need a new rubber seal and maybe the head lining will give you probs as well - still if you want it all working right ....................... :wink:

Thanx Fred, will have to think about this one & the difficulties i may be facing,will let you know, also thanx for the Sunday Tatton show tickets just received,Pete.
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help