P45T to H4 adapters - do they work?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

P45T to H4 adapters - do they work?

Postby Paul Dawson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Further to my request for assistance with a lighting switch in the wanted column (thanks Dave & Fred) I then discover my headlights are the old P45T fitting with ancient incandescent filament bulbs installed.

There are adapters available which enable you to use a H4 bulb in a P45T headlamp but I've read that they don't work very well. Has anyone any experience of them please?

For the time being I've bought a couple of halogen P45T bulbs which are the same 40/45W rating as the original bulbs but I hope will be a bit brighter.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: P45T to H4 adapters - do they work?

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:59 pm

H4 are rated at 55/60W so it may be the problem is with the wiring as the increase in current may fry the wiring - you need to put in extra wiring from the 12v supply controlled by the original switch control via a relay - does the conversion kit you have looked at include that?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:07 pm

To update on this - I found some P46T halogens (at Halfords no less!) rated at 55/60W. Having been told that the wiring will handle that no problem I fitted them and the difference is amazing. Much better lights.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:46 pm

I found the same bulbs at Halfords and put them in, I have since swapped to LED as they are brighter and have a lower draw which is more wiring loom friendly.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlights-p45t-fully-integrated-with-colour-options-hi-lo-beam-conversion are the ones fitted, they have been inspected and approved by an MOT tester who then wanted to buy some for his Golf
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm

how did you refit the rubber boots on the back of the headlights? pics please
pbottomley

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 pm

pbottomley wrote:how did you refit the rubber boots on the back of the headlights? pics please

Short version, I didn't. The bulb design is longer on the back and has a heat sink which if I tried to stretch the rubber over it it would probably melt. I'll take some pics when I'm in Dorset this weekend as the cars are hibernating there.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:20 am

The rear of the headlamp with the H4 adapter and the LED bulb from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ installed. The cable ends in the same style connection you'd find on the back of a standard bulb, so it just plugs on.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help