Indicators and Ignition Light

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Indicators and Ignition Light

Postby Of_Machines » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Firstly, my indicators have started staying stuck on instead of indicating when I use my indicator, there's one click and both the dashboard light and the indicater stay in instead of repeatedly blinking, however the hazard light control I had installed works perfectly. I had had this issue on and off for the last couple of years but it's started being like this all the time now. Also, the ignition light on the dashboard is permanently on, usually just a dull glow but it's never fully off, and it goes bright every time I brake.
Any ideas?
Of_Machines
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Indicators and Ignition Light

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Sounds like your flasher unit is faulty. The hazards use a separate flasher unit. Also check the earthing to the rear lights. That is a notorious fault causing many strange symptoms. I've wired in a separate earthing cable to both tail lights to prevent any problems that might occur.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Indicators and Ignition Light

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 pm

It'd be worth having a look around all the earth connections on the car if the ignition light is on slightly all the time. Also check the alternator output, which might also affect the current getting to the indicators and not provide sufficient to cause the flasher unit to flash.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help