ignition warning light on mk 1 GT

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

ignition warning light on mk 1 GT

Postby hbr341 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi All
I have had a few issues with my old alternator so i got a new lucas one and fitted it but the small wire brown and purple has no power so i temp fed a live to it to check all was ok with the new alternator and it was the ignition light stopped working a few years ago i tested the bulb and its ok i need to get the light working and the cable live to the alternator anyone got any ideas please.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: ignition warning light on mk 1 GT

Postby StefanM » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:15 am

if you have the original setup still there you must use the original type alternator. The warning light is fed by a "relay" and that does not work with a normal later alternator.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Stevham
Thanks for your reply i took off a Delco Remy mine has had the wiring changed over in the past near 50years ive done a bit more checking there is live to the ign bulb with ign on if i earth it it works mine still got the alternator control on the o\s inner wing the brown and purple wire was together with a brown and yellow doing nothing the control should not be needed with this newer alternator all still a mystery to me i job i hate is vehicle elecs.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi All
Thanks for your help at last ive got it all sorted out the problem was the earth wire from ign lamp had been changed in the back of the gauges to a blue one why i will never know i have redone the wires all works now as it should 13 volts on tick over 14 at 2000 rpm.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help