regulator box RB 340

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

regulator box RB 340

Postby Hubert64 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Hello,

Owner of a Vauxhall Viva HA 1965, I regurlaly have to replace the regulator box by a new one found on ebay for about 20 to 30 pounds. I notice it has to be replaced when the ignition light goes out at idle but lightens up again when the speed of the engine increases. Each time I replace the regulator box, this problem stops for a few months but eventually reappears and I have to change the regulator box again.

I showed one of my regulator boxes to an automobile electrician who examined it and told me that it was of poor construction quality, poorly finished, reason why it didn't last long.

Would anyone know where a quality regulator box can be found and bought ? Are original lucas stil available and where ? The ones I bought were copies.

Thank you for your attention.

Hubert.
Hubert64
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: regulator box RB 340

Postby 1972nail » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Hmmm....even a poor quality regulator box should last longer than a few months. There could be another cause. In another post you mentioned that you replaced your dynamo so that should be OK.

Something random....not a sure bet .... but could you have a positive earth wiring system and you've fitted a negative earth dynamo? Or visa versa?

You can change the polarity of the dynamo easily enough and going through the changing procedure won't harm a correctly polarised dynamo anyway so it could be worth a try.

I would also check all the earth wires you can find and clean all the connections in the charging circuit as well. Cleaning connections is quite easy if you dip them is a citric acid solution.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: regulator box RB 340

Postby Hubert64 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am

Hello 1972Nail,

Thanks for your awnser. I will verify all the wires this week-end.

Truly yours,

Hubert.
Hubert64
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help