Replacement battery

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Replacement battery

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 pm

I bought a Lucas LP 015 battery for my 1256 Viva two years ago but it seems to be failing just out of guarantee!

Any thoughts or experiences in what make or type I should replace it with?
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Replacement battery

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 pm

I exclusively use Varta batteries - because they are reasonably priced and I get good discount from my local stockist. I have one in our Minor for at least 10 years now and still going strong. I don't think they make one that will fit a Viva battery box perfectly but the one in our Minor should be reasonably close.

I had bought a cheaper make from the stockist for the Minor and it failed just inside guarantee, money back and invested in a Varta that was about the same size he had in the back of the store. Never looked back. I'll check which one it is before the weekend.

My Firenza has a battery cradle in the boot so can use almost any size of battery with the correct terminals. I fitted a BIG one, that's all I know....

It may be worth checking all connections including earths and the big plug on the back of the alternator just in case. If you have a 'smart' charger give it a long charge over the weekend and see what voltage it holds by Sunday morning. It should be above 13.6V if all is OK
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am

If it's a Lucas battery from a decent supplier, it might be worth talking to them about the problem if it's "just outside" warranty, as there might be an argument that you could reasonably expect it to last longer. Can't hurt to ask, especially once you've checked that there isn't something on the car causing it.

I use Halfords batteries on both of mine, and the daily, and they've been pretty good and are well priced, especially if you know someone who has a trade card.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:40 pm

I use Yuesa battery 038 - still available and 320 crank amps. Same as Mini & Minor.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby cooperman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Tayna batteries on t'internet were very competitive on price.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am

I've heard good things about Tayna but not used them myself. My concern with buying a battery remotely was the hassle of sending it back if it fails within warranty.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 am

I finally checked the Minor battery this morning. It's not a battery specifically for a Minor, just one the local suppler had in his store at the time.

Anyway it's a Varta Blue B32, equivalent to an 048. It's got the terminals the wrong way around for a Viva and looks like it might be too tall at 227 mm. But it is good and has worked very well in the Minor since January 2008.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks all for your help guys.
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help