7 Dial Dash Fitting Advice?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

7 Dial Dash Fitting Advice?

Postby retrocarclub » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 pm

I've finally decided that its about time to fit my 7 dial dash into my Viva. What is the best way of wiring one in? I notice the rev counter has three connectors, what are these 3 for? and what about the other connectors? Can anyone give me any advice.

Thanks
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Firenzaboy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:18 pm

Right - it's a piece of cake :lol:
RE wires for the rev counter - 1 is a feed from the ignition,1 is earth,and the third wire is a feed from the negative side of the coil (the pulse that makes it work!)
As for the rest of the wiring,if you've got the connector that fits the back of the 7 dial clocks (10...ish pins?) ,the colours of the wires on the existing "clapometer/2 dial dash) marry up ie green and white goes to green n white etc.
If you've not got the plug,either use the Haynes manual schematic wiring diagrams :shock: ,scream and rant,or PM me and I'll take the colours off my spare 7 dial plug and try and help ya out :wink: 8)
Dave C
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby retrocarclub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:07 am

Firenzaboy wrote:Right - it's a piece of cake :lol:
RE wires for the rev counter - 1 is a feed from the ignition,1 is earth,and the third wire is a feed from the negative side of the coil (the pulse that makes it work!)
As for the rest of the wiring,if you've got the connector that fits the back of the 7 dial clocks (10...ish pins?) ,the colours of the wires on the existing "clapometer/2 dial dash) marry up ie green and white goes to green n white etc.
If you've not got the plug,either use the Haynes manual schematic wiring diagrams :shock: ,scream and rant,or PM me and I'll take the colours off my spare 7 dial plug and try and help ya out :wink: 8)
Dave C

Thanks for you help. As I dont have the 7 dial plug I think I will PM you. :wink:
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Firenzaboy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Christian,
Have sent you Pm (not sure if it sent or not though :( )
Have a connector you can have - Pm me your address and i'll get it sent out to you.
Dave
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby retrocarclub » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Finally fitted the dash today, one quick question: What kind of connector/pressure hose do I need to get the oil pressure gauge working? It appears to screw onto the back of the clocks..
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:51 am

There's a thin plastic pipe that goes from the gauge to the pressure sender on the engine. The pressure sender screws in where the low-pressure switch is on the top side of the block, and the low-pressure switch then screws into the top of the pressure sender.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby retrocarclub » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Ah ha I should be able to fit it to my red top pressure feed then.
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help