electronic ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

electronic ignition

Postby lisbon_road » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:40 am

I have just driven to work by Viva for the first time in ten years. I used to have fully electronic ignition, but it gave up a while back. I am now too old (actually, I have always been too old!!) to keep fiddling with points and would prefer to go back fully electronic - does anyone have any recommendations of which is the best system, price being part of the issue here. Let me know which you think are good and not so good!

Thanks Jon
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:06 am

I have Lumenition on both my cars, and apart from the time that the base plate shifted at 5000rpm and took out the LEDs, it has always been faultless. I didn't choose it, by the way, it was already on the cars when I bought them. Good thing about Lumenition is you can buy parts - even thirty years later - if something fails (like in my mishap) you only have to buy the bits you need.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Sweden » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 pm

I have the system from pertronix. http://www.pertronix.com/ Both the ignition part and the flamethrower coil. It works great and was very easy to install. Not sure if it's better then the lumenition system but everything goes under the cap of the dizzy so you don't need any power module like on the lumenition system. What I can tell is that it is very stable compered to points and condensor which I could see when setting the timing with a stroboscope.

/C
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help