Front indicator problem

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Front indicator problem

Postby Rullverine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Ive got a hideous problem with my indicators. I think Ive narrowed down the slow rubbish flashing to the front units. I took the left handside one apart today- and now after tryring to clean it up have found it doesnt work at all! Usually they just stay on and dont flash (unless the car is warm). The bulb is loose in the socket and there both filthy and corroded. It seems to me that the holders are too far in and small to clean very easily, and im not sure what to do as my MOT is due very soon.
Ive also realised the units have been designed by a fool, and I can't see how on earth to get them out. Theres a ridiculous small nut on the inside of the wheel-arch where you cant swing a spanner let alone really get in there to look at it. The other side doesnt even look like there is a nut on the end of one of the tiny bolts.

Im totally in need on some advice? Do I get them drilled out? Should I bid on some new units entirely? Or does anyone have some units I can purchase???
Oh yeah- can you get the front bulb holders from anywhere (not that its likely Ill get the old ones off because everything looks like its corroded on!)

Thanks
Rullverine
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:54 pm

As a temprorary fix, you could try wrapping some insulating tape around the bit of the bulb where the glass meets the base, that might just hold it in snugly enough for it to make a contact and flash. That's what the previous owner of mine had done, and worked most of the time.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rob knights » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:38 am

The front indicators on the HC are secured by 3 nuts accessed from behind the front wheel, these can be tight, try spraying with some WD40. I used a socket when I replaced mine & after getting them out was able to knock the old studs out. You may be better off sourcing second hand units.
rob knights
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:31 am

You can just about see on the front edge of the indicator unit where the studs are, drill them out from the front and replace with small nuts and bolts.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help