ha alternator conversion

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

ha alternator conversion

Postby aliopel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 am

after my regulator failed in the summer i decided to convert my 64 viva to run a modern alternator for greater reliability,first of all i changed my system from positive earth to negative earth,this is a very simple job on a car with standard wiring,simply changing the battery cables over or turning the battery around if your cables are long enough,next i disconnected the regulator box,joined the 2 thick wires together & discarded the 2 thin wires (one is simply an earth wire & the other is the old battery warning light wire,now not needed),next i fitted a new alternator which are easy to obtain new as they are used on many agracultural machines (40 pounds),to connect the new alternator discard the thin single wire (this went to the old regulator),then you should have left 2 wires joined together(a thin one & a thick one) separate these 2 wires,the thin one is your battery charge warning light wire & the thick one is the output wire (new connectors were supplied with the alternator to make life easy)
aliopel

Return to Electrical help