how to change headlining?

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

how to change headlining?

Postby Alexander » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi, i need some help to change my headlining.. I have gotten the old out but i dont really know how to make a new one och to get it fitted.. Any one that has done it and could tell me how to do it? I would be very happy if someone could explain it alittle bit.. The car is a Viva Ha 1964.

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:45 pm

HI

Years ago I replaced the headlining in my HA. OK, I removed the old one, which is a complete window out jobbie... all windows. Then I had the old damaged one as a pattern, at which point I decided professional help was the only solution...... I paid for a new headlining to be custom made using the original supporting rails. All so well and good, and about 18 years ago cost me £100. Still cash well spent !
I considered fitting it myself, but when I phoned the chap for some tips, he simple said for £30 he would do it. Paid the man..... money very well spent.

Ok, not the answer you wanted, but unless you are an upholsterer, I would not attempt one myself. You have to have the correct stretchy materials, a decent sowing machine and the skills to do it. Have a go by all means, but of all the jobs I've done on my cars, the headlining is the only one I would not attempt.

Best of luck with your decision

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Alexander » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:55 am

lambaj wrote:HI

Years ago I replaced the headlining in my HA. OK, I removed the old one, which is a complete window out jobbie... all windows. Then I had the old damaged one as a pattern, at which point I decided professional help was the only solution...... I paid for a new headlining to be custom made using the original supporting rails. All so well and good, and about 18 years ago cost me £100. Still cash well spent !
I considered fitting it myself, but when I phoned the chap for some tips, he simple said for £30 he would do it. Paid the man..... money very well spent.

Ok, not the answer you wanted, but unless you are an upholsterer, I would not attempt one myself. You have to have the correct stretchy materials, a decent sowing machine and the skills to do it. Have a go by all means, but of all the jobs I've done on my cars, the headlining is the only one I would not attempt.

Best of luck with your decision

Tony (HA21)

Hi, yes i have heard it isnt really the easiest thing you can do.. But my sister has her own sewing company ( dont know what to call it :P ) So i actually dont think that making the new one will be the problem. I had some thinking on it this night and i think i know how to do it now. I atleast think it would work :P

//Alex
Vauxhall Viva HA 1964
Alexander
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Bodywork