Fibreglass bonnet

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Postby phil dawson » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:43 pm

He already had a mould for the bonnet.
As Jon says, the Guy is very helpful.

Spence, Your car is going to be nice and light up front.

I've been very lazy over the festive season and haven't got cracked on with all the jobs Id planned.
Need to knuckle down now that we are into the new year.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:16 pm

i must be one selfish b/stard! i seem to be one of the only ones who made progress over christmas :lol:

just i haven't had time to post the pics up yet :roll:

Jon, i thought the reinforcement needed to span th whole leading edge as it was the untied corners that flapped at high speed?

phil dawson wrote:Spence, Your car is going to be nice and light up front.

light? that v6 iam fitting weighs a good 180kg!! iam robbing from the front and giving to the rear to try and aid a little weight distribution.

i suppose ive got to make a decision on this fairly soon as iam getting tempted to cut vents into my bonnet similar to those can-am cars :lol:

ive allready got a friend of mine to hand beat me a rear spoiler out of steel (using an original dtv grp one as pattern) the bonnets next :shock:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ade » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm

This is how I did mine the extra steel inside was minimal weight wise, but it allowed the bonnet work as normal.
Big black and loud lol
ade
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Spence - the f/g bonnet has a seperate f/g frame (see ade' s pics) which is then bonded to the top skin - so there are no gaps or flappy bits at the front . Due to the rounded front leading edge and the underframe bonded to it - it should be stong enough not to lift up (at speed) .
I said about making a steel plate with captive nuts under the framework as a means of bolting a home made plate onto it (which would include the strike pin and safety catch) .
The guy said he already bonds in captive nuts at the hinge area and to hold the adjustment pins - and it wouldnt be a prob if a plate was needed at the catch area.
I also enquired about having nasca type vents - he said he can do anything and if the vents were supplied (fibreglass ones) he could mould them into the skin before the whole bonnet was gel coated - so no filling etc on our part required :lol:
Cheers - Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 am

Jon stop it!! your spending my money faster than i can earn it :lol:

can you get square vents not those nasca type things that are v ish or y ish shape?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Bodywork