Crud, *&££"!!"£)£$(++++_()$* !!!

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Crud, *&££"!!"£)£$(++++_()$* !!!

Postby lambaj » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Hi folks

Well, not a good day, UAS874, my white HA has been thumped up the rear. Stationary at a round about, Black focus straight in the back.
Very bent.......rear of car 3 inches shorter, just saved the boot, but the critical bit at the rear of the boot floor that forms a box section is flatter that a pancake, and there is a magic dent in the quarter just behind the drivers door........... (Oh Crud!!!)
At least the bloke was decent, sorry, and happy to provide details. Now got to go through the nause of claiming, getting it written off, get peanuts, then have to buy back the car.
Suffice to say I am not a happy boy and if I had not just spent weeks fixing the car both mechanically and structurally, would probably give this one up, but the effort gone in so far will not be paid for , so I guess I'm in for a long cold winter! So....

Now desperately looking to find a rear panel for a deluxe HA, and a rear bumper, lower inner and outer valance and bumper mounts. Also will need lights if I have not got any, and a number plate lamp assembly and a rear hockey stick.

Adrian, if your reading this, looks like I might be collecting that Quarter some time......

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 am

I think the parts you might need are at Clara's?

The *Bleep* end of the spares car is fully intact and the only welding it needed was the spare wheel holder, the arches were fine, rear panel fine floor fine... I was planning to use it as a trailer but it sounds like your needs are more pressing???
pbottomley

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 am

sorry to hear that Tony, what a right pain! some people eh?
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Paul

Thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea where Clara is, but I bet its a fair way...... we will have to see what happens, at least there is an option for me, so if you could hang on with the trailer idea I would appreciate it.
Gonna see in a bit if my policy is worth anything........
Tony
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:53 pm

The location of the trailer / *Bleep* end of the HA is near as damn it Leicester.. so I guess a 200 mile round trip for you fella....

Adrian isn't back from France till mid December as far as I am aware , but last time I spoke about the rear quarter he still had it (drivers side).

UAS is a very early car Tony and after all that hard work I would be asking for it to be repaired not written off!!!!
pbottomley

Postby Clara » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Tony,

I'm about 100 miles away and whatever you need off the car is yours (this includes the small child from across the street).

If you're going to have a problem getting up here I'm sure you can try the puppy eyes at Paul B to dismantle what you need off the car and I'll trailer it over to you (tea milk no sugar).
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Indeed Paul, I do not want UAS written off, lets face it, even on a purely financial side, its only worth say £700, minus excesses, buy back of car etc then I will end up with about £250 and a big problem fixing it. I will be contacting a few local body repair people, some Ive known for some time, but I expect the problem will all be about panel availability. No insurance company will cover the cost of hand fabricating or repairing the existing damaged panels even though I expect an expert could work the metal.
I have now quite and attachment to the car, it was my wedding day bridesgroom car, and has been my reliable daily transport for 4 years until the clutch episode. Now with all the work on the chassis and the new carpets etc etc I do not want to see any of that go to waste.
I'll talk to Clara and see what my options are about the panels actually 260 mile round trip........
Hopefully I will find a sympathetic ear somewhere in the trade !

Tony
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:08 pm

PAUL - I HAVE A JOB FOR YOU ...........
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 pm

I as a job fella..... :D
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Cool Paul, not sure how you managed to resist my friend Mr Hypnotoad, must be something in the water ! :lol:

Anyway, heres the problem:

As can be seen, something more serious has happened than just the bumper and rear panel, Looks like the back of the car has been bent down a bit causing the wheel arch to shorten, and the panel behind the door to pop in. Me thinks the hydraulics will be coming out, or a strong jack and a bunch of people jumping about in the boot !

Hey ho....

Clara, thanks for the mail, I will be in touch once I find out how the insurance company will be playing, or not. Are you on any deadlines to be rid of the remains of the car ?

Cheers
Tony
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork