HB Door Hinges

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

HB Door Hinges

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Has anyone had experience of removing door hinge pins on a HB?

Ive used a pin removal tool, just a square bar with a slot in the end which you belt with a hammer....no success. :cry:

Then I tried a parallel punch from the top, again no success.... :oops:

Any ideas??

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Hinge Pins

Postby vx-mike » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Scott

Seems like you have some well worn and/or rusted hinge pins there.

A good soaking with penetration oil and then beat the sh*t out of it with the methods you have already used. Alternatively you can apply some heat to the hinges then follow method one.

If they are well worn you will have a 'step' in the pin and may need to lift the door a little with a jack or similar to gain the correct alignment for the pin to pass through the hinge when you thump it as method one.

In the past I have known peaple cut the hinge from the door and re-weld it back on when they have removed the pin. Not an easy or ideal solution.

In such instances as this I usually find a good soaking with penetration oil, then push the car back into the garage and come back to it the following day does the trick.

Best of luck.

Mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:00 pm

I won!!! :D

Thanks for the tips Mike.

The pins themselves arent worn at all, but they were the tightest door pins Ive ever come across!!!

I didnt want to go on belting the pins with a hammer for the fear of mushrooming the end then they would never come out. So I made a tool from laminations of flat bar with a slot in the end to fit tightly over the pin head, roasted the hinge with a blowtorch,then used a 1/2" extension bar as a punch in from the top as close to the pin as I could get it and absolutly melted it with the club hammer.

Eventually they slid out... 8)

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Bodywork