Removing a sunroof

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Removing a sunroof

Postby dsj1979 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi,

When the car is resprayed I want the sunroof removed. Will they be able to plate it etc. or should I look for a new roof for them to fit?

Thanks,

Daniel
dsj1979
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Removing a sunroof

Postby GTpete » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am

They could probably fill it in, but not invisibly, so would need a vinyl roof fitted...
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 am

Hi

Thats a hell off a job you looking at there, it could be filled in with a steel sheet and then a lot of filler used to cover up the joins, but it will always be a risk that the shape of the roof will not look quite right. Also you risk distorting the original roof during the welding process. That said, changing a roof is not a simple thing either !
Are you going to race the car ? as a welded panel may not meet regs, or is it an asthetics issue ? You have not mentioned if its a glass pop up, or webasto or sliding steel roof. Obviously you will also need to budget for a new headlining as well.

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby junkyarddog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:45 pm

The best way to remove the sunroof,is to get the complete roof from a scrap shell,
then clean down the spot welds,and drill them out,also find where the roof-skin is originally brazed onto the roof pillars.Cut at these joints and remove the skin from the doner roof.
Carefully do the same on your own car,and then weld the skin on.
Tricky and time consuming,but it's a better way than just cutting through the pillars and transplanting a complete roof.
Just one more turn should do it....
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vxmad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:47 pm

I should have a good roof as a doner, let me know
is there any cure for buying vauxhall cars
vxmad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Remember that if you do transplant the entire roof, the pillars are double-skinned in some places. Apparently this is one of the main things that prompted the heritage centre to re-shell their HPF - the job had been done, but only welded on the outside surface of the pillar.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Bodywork