Welding

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Welding

Postby Clara » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Ok, so my poor little soap box has a bit of a problem. Well lots of problems but one is bothering me: she has two holes in the boot (one next to the petrol tank the other where the spare wheel should be).

I can't weld, and even if I had learnt I wouldn't be able to do it now *bloody vauxhall nova drivers*.

Any ideas what I should do til I can find someone to weld for me?

Will rust not and other such products be a nusience when it comes to welding later on?

And while I'm at it: who knows how to stop a HA boot from filling with water ever time you open the boot lid?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

what to do !

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:57 pm

Save your money up whilst you deal with the vauxhall nova boys ?????
Last edited by pbottomley on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbottomley

Re: what to do !

Postby Clara » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:18 pm

pbottomley wrote:Save your money up whilst you deal with the vauxhall nova boys ?????

That's going to be a five year wait! :(

She'll have rusted through by then!!
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:09 am

Try to limit the spead of rot with rust stopper products. They will not effect welding at a later date as the metal will have to be ground back and the rust removed completely (assuming the welder is doing a proper job). These are classic rot points on the HA, but unless severe should not be an MOT failure as they are just about far enough away from the chassis rails/spring hangers to get away with it.
There are no known repair panels, and to do the tank side you need to get the tank out. This is not tricky unless you cannot get the union undone on the bottom of the tank.

As for water in the boot, park with the nose up hill slightly and the standing water on the boot lid will run off rather that straight over the rubber into the boot whenever you open it. No other solutions other than opening the boot very slowly and letting the water run round the rubber channel.

Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:33 pm

lambaj wrote:
As for water in the boot, park with the nose up hill slightly and the standing water on the boot lid will run off rather that straight over the rubber into the boot whenever you open it. No other solutions other than opening the boot very slowly and letting the water run round the rubber channel.

Tony

I'll ask college to fit a ramp to one of the parking bays! :D
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Welding

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:47 pm

Nothing worse than showing your car off and saying " Hey look how clean and
shiny the boot is" , opening it and getting a boot full of water from a
boot-lid full of water !!!

Parking it on a hill is an idea, always assuming your handbrake actually
works? Maybe all vivas should come with two bricks for the wheels?

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
pbottomley

Re: Welding

Postby Clara » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:25 pm

pbottomley wrote:Parking it on a hill is an idea, always assuming your handbrake actually
works? Maybe all vivas should come with two bricks for the wheels?

My handbrick most definately works. Though, to my cost, I often forget to use it (kind lads deciding to move my car to the other side of the carpark :evil: )
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Bodywork