Spraying headlining.... Is it possible?

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Spraying headlining.... Is it possible?

Postby chrisdunham » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 am

Hi all,

The headlining in my hb is in very good condition but it has suffered the glue staining that seems to be very common. I don't want to replace it as that would mean having all the glass out (again) so was wondering if it is possible to use a spray paint to give it a new lease of life - keeping the same cream colour.

Obviously I am concerned a) it will look terrible and b) it will cause the lining to sag

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ta - Chris
1967 HB Viva SL - Pampas Green
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Spraying headlining.... Is it possible?

Postby dann01 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 pm

I'd use vinyl dye... Used black on my roof lining, and looks really good. Have to brush it on and use a couple of coats, brushing one direction, and then the other... Don't know if it's obtainable in cream colour or not, but it should be.

Got mine from OJ Leather & vinyl in Lancs - Tel Goeff on 07851 644441

Hope this helps

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby chrisdunham » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Dan, I had a trimmer look at mine, he said dying wouldnt cover it, especially as I want it cream.

I've bought some off-white vinyl spray from Woolies trim, and will probably have a go this weekend, weather permitting. Hopefully get some before and after pics, if I dont completely balls it up! :D

Chris
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby chrisdunham » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Just an update on this, got the cream vinyl spray from Woolies trim.. Set about masking the interior of the car up, no easy feat I can tell you, I found it easier to take out the rear seats, mask the windows, rubbers, everything basically. Sprayed the visors, mirror arm, and the headlining itself.

All in all, it took just shy of 2 cans but seems to have done a great job of covering up the stains and was a pretty decent match too! Aside from managing to bust the drivers side sun visor, its now all back together, just needs a good clean as the dust gets EVERYWHERE!!

Will upload some pics soon...

Chris
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Bodywork