Why oh why did I "poke" that rust hole....??

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Why oh why did I "poke" that rust hole....??

Postby lambaj » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Evening folks

Well, like the title says - why did I poke that rust hole ? DOH!!!
From being unhappy with the cosmetic appearance of the car (UAS874, White HA) to now being fully embroiled in a major bodywork resto.....
Photos to follow, but due to the complete impossibility of locating a new front panel, I am having to fabricate from stratch the front panel top to bottom where it joins the offside wing (Read replacement wing, the old one is now removed and the front has ended up in a pile on the floor) and new top rails, repairs for the slam panel and parts of the inner wing.
So far the only good news is the door came off without buggering the hinges or pins, and the wing came off without damage to the car, and of significance, there are no holes in the passenger compartment/A post/fuse box corners.
So, hopefully I will get some time to piece together a repair story here with piccys. Just hope I can get it done and sorted for Billing. 8 weeks and counting.......

Tony (HA21) :D
Oh Crud - or at least thats all that was left....

Front wing leading edge - not much holding it on.....

Seems to be a few bits missing, and a few bits badly attached in the wrong place by previous work

Stage one of front panel rebuild well underway - new leading edge matched to wing profile

Happy with this - started as a 1 inch strip of steel 22 inches long (sorry, 2.5cm x 41cm)

More will follow when I get time to continue.... :roll:
Last edited by lambaj on Mon May 02, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Why oh why did I "poke" that rust hole....??

Postby pbottomley » Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Tony... UAS deserves the work you are doing.... :goodideasign:

I did notice the ventilation at billing other year....

One you have done UAS is not the black one in need of your love? :boogie:
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm

8) Christ on a bike mate - let the keyboard cool down !!

Indeed, apart from the scale of the work, I'm actually looking forward to getting this work sorted out. The car is well used and deserves some TLC, not to mention its significance.

SOOOOO annoyed I missed the new bumper on E-bay - kids kept me away from PC so missed bid. Screwed now untill another one comes up (????? :( ) as the original is nothing on one side other that chrome (so thick its the only metal left !!) Thinking about fibre glass reinforcing the chrome till something else turns up!

Black car in bad books. Stuck £30 of super unleaded (about 2 pints these days) in the tank to be ready to fire her up, and she decided to wet herself all over the floor. Scratch £10, collected remainder..... and now have to renew rubbery bits on run from tank to E-pump. Doh!

T
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 pm

If the black car is in bad books send it to me for some stern disipline... I shall give it a good home ;)
pbottomley

Postby Vivanuts Glenn » Tue May 03, 2011 12:52 am

lambaj wrote:8) Christ on a bike mate - let the keyboard cool down !!

SOOOOO annoyed I missed the new bumper on E-bay - kids kept me away from PC so missed bid. Screwed now untill another one comes up (????? :( ) as the original is nothing on one side other that chrome (so thick its the only metal left !!) Thinking about fibre glass reinforcing the chrome till something else turns up!

T

If it is any good to you I still have the rear panel I cut off a Scrap HA ages ago with a bumper still attached to it.
You are quite welcome to this .

If I recall the back and front bumpers can be fitted either way front or back(I think my old black HA had a back one on the front when I first bought it
Vivanuts Glenn
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello folks

Well, 1 week to Billing...... oh boy what a day and a half.... Finshed front panel repairs (both sides), wing repairs to healthier wing nearside, and got the 2nd hand wing straight. Prep for paint, 3 coats bonda Primer, rub back, 2 coats filler primer, rub back, Top coat, 2 coats...... Run out of top coat thinners now, so good natural break to let that lot harden off a bit before sorting one small sag on the wing and a final top.
Then its a simple matter of rebuilding the car, getting an MOT and hopefully getting to Billing either sat evening time, or early Sunday. :)

Glen if you see this message, UAS will be bumperless, so if there is a chance of you coming to Billing, could you get the bumper off the and bring it along ?? Big ask I appreciate. Beer tokens, bacon butties, Curry...... all await !

TTFN

Tony (HA21)
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:02 am

My keyboard is cool mate ;) So happy to hear your on the downhill slope now.... Looking fwd to seeing UAS rock up at billing again.... OHHH and by the end of this week you will have little excuse not to re commission the Black Beast ?
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 am

Ummm, down hill slope..... sounds familiar! :wink:

Well, took one look at the drivers door last night, and decided that needed a coat of paint too.... so quick blow over and all is white again :)

Top coated wing, nice and shiney and the new rear wing cappings too. Getting there.
Trouble is the rest of the car is going to look poor by comparison. Trouble with a white car !
Hope I'll have the time to tidy up the nearside sill and door - nothing like setting your self hard to meet targets!
So, do I go hell for leather and lower the front ? What am I saying !!! :roll:

Ok, Re-assemble front end. Refit door. CLEAN. Do rust on roof/gutter line and paint, paint NS wing and door, Service check etc and MOT. Bound to be more - I'll over that when I find it !!

See you Sunday...... :lol:
Tony
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 am

Should be a nice selection of HA's this year if people come .... :wink:
pbottomley

Return to Bodywork