Bodywork mods for BIG wheels

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Bodywork mods for BIG wheels

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:51 pm

See the link below and please comment - either here or on the DSG forum if you're regisgtered there. :thanx:

http://droopsnootgroup.yuku.com/topic/6 ... -well-mods
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Bodywork mods for BIG wheels

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 am

Laziest post ever.... :roll:
pbottomley

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

No, not lazy just economical. I don't want people wasting their time offering advice I already have and know. The link shows the discussions I already have had and those who can offer more have the opportunity to reply.

More info on the original post. I own a 1972 2300 Sport SL which i bought in 1978 with a truly rotten shell. The intention from the start was to fit a Flat Front Nail kit and this was bought from Blydenstien' in 1979 - I still have the original invoice! 8)

I worked on the car on and off until I got married and bought a house. The car has been in storage since and re-emerged last year.

Here is a mock up of what I hope it will eventually look like.

I need info on what mods i need to do to the footwell/bulkhead area to fit 9x15 splits with 225/50/15 tyres

The shell is stripped with no suspension and on a roll over spit at the minute and the wheels away for refurb so trial fitting is out of the question. I would like to finish all the welding mods, undersealing and painting this week if possible.

I don't want to cut out too much but equally I don't want to do mods and find that I havn't given adequate clearance so if any forum users have done the necessary mods sharing their experiences and photos if possible would be very helpful.

Thanks 1972nail

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Superb post :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I did sort have some cheek when I posted that sorry :D

Alas other than keeping this thread going with random posts I cannot add a lot to this conversation unless its about a HA.
pbottomley

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Cheers! :D

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:01 pm

No idea about the mods, but like the look you are going for. :respekt:

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks,

It was originally orange with a black vinyl roof. My original idea in the early 80's was white with 8x13 Minilites. The shell boot and doors did get painted white back then. A few years ago I got a set of 9x15 Compomotives on ebay and when the VXR Vauxhalls appeared in Arden Blue Pearl I had to have it!!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:38 am

Forgot to ask, whats the reg number so we can add it to our register? Theres a lad on here from Canada who has some Magard drawings for chassis mods maybe he can help?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 am

Hi,

The car has always been local to me as the 1st owner lived 20 miles away - I'm the 2nd owner. It's a N Ireland Reg It's probably the only one with a N Ireland reg left.

The Magard drawings don't detail the mods I need they only say something like 'modify as necessary' - I have a set somewhere.

185/70/13 and 205/60/13 on 6 and 7 inch rims only touch in 1 place on full lock and a tap with a big hammer is all that is required. I'm concerned that with the wider wheels there will be greater problems. Blydenstien didn't charge £30 in 1972 to modify the footwells for 10x13's and only use a big hammer - so there must be something more involved or maybe he was over cautious?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:45 pm

As I've had no further info and I need to get the shell back off the roll over spit I'm going to leave the foot well mods until I can get the 9x15 wheels on and measure up exactly what is needed. In the mean time if anyone has any further ideas or photos please post them.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to Bodywork