hc headlights

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

hc headlights

Postby locke93 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 am

hi have just got my hc a couple of months ago. i want to put new head lights in, do i have to change the front panel ?
locke93
First Post
First Post

Re: hc headlights

Postby dann01 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Assume you wanna go from single pair of rectangular to twin rounds?

Two ways of doing it. New front panel, and risk buggering the wings as well. Or headlight mounting panels to replace the rectangular mounts.(Hard to find new, and a a bummer to get off an old panel intact) In any event, hope you don't mind cutting and can weld.

Then you'll need the headlights themselves... Then either rig or get the electrical patches. (Good luck with that)

Alternatively, you could opt for a set of rectangular driving lamps, which would keep the car original with a reversable mod. Note, the car would be worth more in years to come unmolested, than if it had been hacked about.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby oli8925 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:41 pm

It's been on my mind since I got my Viva but I've never taken the thought any further (and I no longer want to get rid of my rectangles) but could you not modify a twin headlight mounting panel so that it could be bolted to the front panel or rectangular mounting panel, and thus make it a bolt-on modification with minimal permanent changes to the car.

Or is the twin mount wider than the retangular?
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 am

The twin headlight mounts are wider than rectangular. I have even seen where each light is mounted individually ie, two mounts each side. So they won't fit one on another. You could replace them, but you'd need to cut and drill the old rectangular mounts off the front panel... Could be done, but care would need to be taken with the cutter/grinder so not to muller the front panel and the leading folds of the wings while your doing it... Basically, a lot of faffing. And then there's positioning the new mounts so that the lights are correctly positioned on the car so that the likes of the grill will fit,

Tell you what I did think about when I had my old SL.. The SL grill has plastic sections either side of the chrome V in the centre. How about adapting these so that a pair of slimline driving lamps are inset into the grill?

They used to do grills like this for the Astra Mk1, and they worked well and looked pretty good. Would look a bit different on a Viva, can't say I've seen it done. Large rectangular outside, small rectangular inside to look symetrical, and with new plastic grill inserts, it's completely reversible. Just a thought.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby oli8925 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

That's something I've also thought about as I test mounted my foglights from the top of the front panel when I didn't have the grille on. It looked great in the dark with the lights on.

I then decided to do something a little more different with a tatty spare grille I have, but that project has been halted at the moment.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:21 am

That doesn't look half bad
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Bodywork