Shoddy shoddy HC headlights

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Shoddy shoddy HC headlights

Postby RustyG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 pm

the head lights on my HC are terrible, i had a look inside and all the reflectors are rusty and dont reflect any more (the 2 spares i have are the same) im gonna get some halogen bulbs, but without sortin the reflectors i doubt it will make much difference, ive found a sheet of wing mirror repair film on the web, i recon i could cut that to shape and stick it onto the reflector. What does everyone think?
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Shoddy shoddy HC headlights

Postby viva les vegas » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:59 am

If its metal, I think it might work. I've always been lucky, all headlights on all my cars have been shiny. Make sure you get the correct halogens, and these weren't designed for the normal three pronged H4 ones. You'll want the round based ones. Personally only seen Halfords stock them.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Reflectors first, won't get anywhere without decent reflectors. I'm not sure about the mirror film, you might get away with it as the beam pattern is produced through the glass rather than the reflector. I used kitchen foil and super glue for one of my indicators, works really well and is just as bright as the other perfect reflector with the lenses on. Wouldn't recommend it for headlights though, biggest challenge would be finding some decent glue that could stand the prolonged heat.

As for bulbs, the old type of fitment (with a round base) is called a P45 fitment, the newer 3 pronged fitment is called P43T.

I too have only seen Halfords sell a modern style Halogen bulb in P45 fitment but I'm fairly sure you have a few options online, from what I remember though none of them are the 'well known' brands.

You could also do what I did and get some P45 to P43T adapters. These have worked well for me and I'm now using my trusty Halfords Super Brilliance +100% bulbs. Of the millions of bulbs I've had to replace in the Viva, these have lasted years of Mini and Viva use including a head on smash in the Mini, great light output too. With the adapters, I found I had to 'hollow out' the hole and prong slots a bit more so that the bulbs would fit well, and then cut the prongs down on the bulbs as they were fouling the headlight, but it's a 30 minute job with a dremel.

Or follow this and put the P45 ring on the P43T bulb.

Make sure you put relays into the full beam and dipped beam circuits too, other wise you'll burn your switch out like I nearly did
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm

The early Viva HC headlights were same as HB, with a metal backing bowl. You cannot fit Halogen bulbs to these as the bulb heats up the metal and the silvering fades. Later these headlights went to a plastic bowl, and they were able to use Halogen bulbs and the silvering lasted a long time. When there was a shortage of these Lucas headlights in mid-seventies due to strikes, Vauxhall commisioned a batch of Cibie headlights to be made to ensure continued car production. These Cibie went back to metal back bowls, and the silvering was terrible. Cibie headlioghts were always dull ! Best way is to buy new plastic bowl headlights if you can, (rare now and expensive) You can then use Halogen bulbs. It is no good fitting a Halogen bulb to a faded silver metal backed bowl as they will just make it even worse!
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby RustyG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

cheers for the advice boys! (sorry about the dellay on the reply, i dont have the internet at home, so have to steal my mates lol) i will take that all on board, it looks like ive got a few more issues now, took her out in the rain the other day and the indicators stopped working on the front and the rears dont flash any more, and one of the brake lights goes out (and the side light) when you hit the pedal, ive checked the bulb and thats all good. at some point soon im gonna take her to my mates unit and atempt a re wire, it cant be that hard there are only a few wires (famous last words). ive got my haynes bible now so there will be no stopping me!!
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva2300 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:06 am

If all else fails with headlights....the tried and trusted Aluminium 'Tin Foil' that you cooked the Chrimbo Budgie in works a treat...spread a layer of that in there...shiny side up obviously and bobs yer uncle... :D
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby michaelmate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 am

viva2300 wrote:If all else fails with headlights....the tried and trusted Aluminium 'Tin Foil' that you cooked the Chrimbo Budgie in works a treat...spread a layer of that in there...shiny side up obviously and bobs yer uncle... :D

i tried what you suggested , smells of stuffing and turkey every time you go out in the dark. :D
Projects........Projects........Projects!
HC 391
michaelmate
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva2300 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:09 pm

:giggle: How bad that...... :D
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 am

Check all the earth contacts before you rewire. Might be only a dodgy connection somewhere, and it's a little cheaper than rewiring ;-)
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby RustyG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 pm

one of my friends thinks that the indicator relays may need replacing, im going to take her roud his next week some times and put the multi meter over it all, see if we cant get to the bottom of it. i probbably will still do a re-wire, as all the electrics seem to have been bodged by a previous owner and are in a right state, im hoping its not gonna cost too much, as i already have loads of cables and bits and pieces (i got a vast array of spares with the hc) in the shed that i can use and my mate is pretty good with electrics ( he services and repairs sound systems (proper commercial ones, not chavy car systems) for a living, as well as being an avid land rover fanatic, so he has had a lot of practice!!)
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork