HC Estate hinge spacers

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

HC Estate hinge spacers

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:15 pm

To fix some bodywork issues I removed the rear hatch hinges from my Sportshatch, and completely forgot to make a note of where the spacers fit. I *think* the thick washers go between the hinge and the mounting plate on the two rearmost bolts, with the forward section bolting flush to the mount. But if anyone has access to a HC with the hinge cover removed, I'd be grateful for confirmation.

Problem is that having re-fitted the tailgate to check the shape of the roof section that I've repaired, and make sure the roof contour is about right, I now find that the front edge of the hatch is about 8mm above the roof when closed and I'm struggling to visualise how to adjust it downwards. I could put more spacers in, but it's puzzling why I need to.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Re: HC Estate hinge spacers

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh, and could someone measure the vertical height of the vent holes along the top of the hatch opening please? Mine had all rusted away along the bottom so I've had to make the bottom section of that panel and now I'm paranoid that maybe I've made it too short, hence the problem above may be that the roof is actually 7-8mm too low, rather than the tailgate being too high. I don't think so, I doubt the shape would be anywhere near correct, but it would set my mind at rest. The bodywork manual shows the measurement from the lip of the roof to the lip of the back panel (where the seal clips on), but my back panel is not on the car at the moment so I can't check it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby dann01 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 am

Well done that man for having a go at repairing the roof section...

To be honest, looking at my estate tailgate, that seems to sit a tad proud of the roof as well... Only ever had the tail gate off once for cleaning and spraying, but as I recall, it was proud before I removed it. Only removed the gate from the hinges, didn't mess with the hinges at the body work end though.

I'll get a measure on those holes when the sun comes up and get that measurement for you.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks for that.

Had no real choice on repairing it to be honest - the bottom section of that panel with the holes in was gone completely, the corners were big lumps of filler, and once I got the hinge mounting panel out, all the top part of it was rusted through and had to be replaced. As so much has been out it's a bit worrying that it might be in the wrong place, but I've measured it from the bottom of the rain channel to the top of the lower floor and it's in the same place as it was before. I know it might be a little bit high, but this is very noticeable, I'll post a pic when I get a minute.

This is part of the hinge mounting panel when I got it out:

To help visualise it, the channel along the side nearest to the camera is the bottom of the rain channel that runs across the top of the tailgate aperture, and has the back edge of the roof spot welded to it. The lip on the far right should be welded to the top of the quarter panel inner structure, not a problem on mine as that was missing.

As it helps give strength to the rear of the car, as well as holding up quite a heavy tailgate, there was no option but to do all this.

Scary question for anyone with a HC estate - what condition is yours in? Worth checking given how strong it is.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby dann01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

The verticle hight of the vents at the rear of the roof panel on mine are 22mm.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks for that, I will compare the measurement to mine later on. The more I think about it, the less I think the bodywork is wrong and there must be something with the hinges and/or tailgate, but I'll have to experiment more. Or ignore it for now and do something else, which is tempting.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Heck. That must be it, the height of mine are quite a bit less than 20mm, so somehow I've managed to fix it lower than it needs to be. At least it explains the issue.

When you get another minute, can you measure the height of that panel for me? From the bit where it folds out to form the bottom of the drip channel up to the top lip where it becomes the roof? That would allow me to check that it's not just that I've made the holes too small.

TIA.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby dann01 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:32 am

Measurement taken from the centre of the roof panel, from the flat of the water chanel to the roofline crease is 36 mm.

Dan
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks Dan. I think it's coming to piece again, this will be the second time I've repaired this section and had to remove it. Pity I did so much before asking.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 pm

For further confirmation, and because the welds cleaned up lovely, I've just visited Fred Dukes this morning and taken some rubbings off one of his estate cars, for comparison purposes, just to be completely sure before I cut the panel again. It's wrong, by some way, so I've started cutting it out again. Funnily enough, the position the roof has come to rest in is almost exactly the "correct" level according to all the measurements and drawings. So I must have gone to some trouble to drop it down to where it was before.

Still, that's good news, I can get on with this bit now and return to the back panel and rear quarters reasonably soon.

Thanks again to Dan for measuring and Fred for letting me take lots of photos and drawings.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Bodywork