What paint for suspension parts?

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

What paint for suspension parts?

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Just wondered what folks use to paint suspension parts once they've been cleaned up?

I've used Hammerite with mixed results. I've also used Ronseal NoRust which was actually pretty good on my trailers. There's other products such as Rustoleum or POR 15 which I've not used before - I am sure someone here has experience of them.

Any recommendations?

Ta!
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: What paint for suspension parts?

Postby oli8925 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I've also used Hammerite with mixed results. First off I used a Hammerite undercoat, really thick orange/pinky stuff then normal Hammerite on top, but the undercoat just seemed to prevent the top coat from sticking and was really horrible stuff so I got rid of it. In the end I was using 4 or 5 layers of Hammerite on clean metal and its worked better, but still mixed.

Seems to be a fair few people on Retro-Rides who use POR-15 with good results and they seem to like it.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 am

I've used POR-15 on some chassis parts, not yet tried it on suspension bits. I think it's a lot more hard-wearing than Hammerite, which can chip without too much effort.

Although it's a little more expensive, I'd recommend buying the six small cans of POR rather than one big one. I had a big tin, properly sealed the lid with cling film like they recommend, but when I went back to it after a couple of months it had developed a film on the top, and the problem with that is that because it's such a tough paint, it's hard to get through the film. I couldn't get through it with a hand drill and a HSS bit, for example. And don't get it on your skin, as it's very hard to remove.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm

WOW - if the film is that tough it must be pretty good stuff.

I've seen those sets of smaller tins, and since this is a long term project that's probably the best way to go.

Have to wait until payday though :(
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Graeme » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 am

Im sending all my stuff off for powder coating.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 am

I too can vouch for the toughness of por15, but it should be top coated as it's not uv stable and will dull off after a while exposed to daylight. My personal fave is eastwood extreme chassis black.
Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 am

I've never heard of Eastwood before, but a quick search threw up their rust encapsulator. If that works as well as they claim it might be worth trying on a few area where I can't dismantle entirely.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:06 am

POR-15 and Eastwoods stuff are available through Frosts, and I couldn't find (at the time) anywhere else over here. To be honest I'd prefer if the POR-15 dulled down - it only seemed to be available in glossy colours which isn't really right for suspension parts. On the hatch I had the front subframe powder coated and it looked lovely - far too nice to put back under the front of the car.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby steve78hc » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Have been useing Por 15, on quite a few bits on my Viva. have also overpainted it with various other paints (,2 pack ,Acrylic, Polyurathane) seems to adhere well,and no reaction...Agree with Droopsnoot, better to buy the smaller tin"s, as you"ll need a hammer and chisel to get the lid off next time ! And do"nt get it on your hands....P.S, I"ve used the Por 15 filler/sealer on the cracks on my dashboard top,seems to be working,just need to paint over it with the right colour now.
steve78hc
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Bodywork