Front inner wing protector.

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Front inner wing protector.

Postby JELZ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 am

Hi I have a heavily modified HB and behind each front wheel is a black protector to stop crud/dirt accumalating in the inside of the wing, I am missing one and the other is pretty ropey, does anyone know where these can be purchased from? Your help is appreciated. Cheers Simon.
JELZ
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Front inner wing protector.

Postby vx-mike » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am

Hi
These are like hens teeth and when they do crop up they tend to be expensive, like the ones currently on ebay at £60+. I would suggest that you make your own from thin sheet metal and screw in place as per the originals.

Mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Or, leave them out, they can collect mud etc behind them and hold it against the sill ends and rot them. Got any photos of your car?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 pm

I am replacing one with a sheet made out of caravan outer skin from our local caravan breakers. It's the right thickness, easily cut and shaped, and aluminium so it won't rot. But it will have an inspection 'hatch' in it so I can check what's going on behind it.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby JELZ » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm new to Viva ownership so are unaware of what is readily available or not. I have sheet metal workers where I work so will get some made up. Or maybe leave out, will post pics soon. Cheers Simon.
JELZ
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 pm

I left them out of the Firenza when I put it back together - I knew I'd just be worried about what might be happening behind them, but without them it's easy to hose out the bits of mud and grime that lodge up the back end of the wings. Make sure there aren't any holes for stuff like aerial cables in the scuttle panels before you go overboard with the jetwash though.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm

For what it's worth - I happened to acquire two of these for a HC today - both n/s ones (typical). My n/s one is fine, it's the o/s one that's fallen off. But I reckon I can use them as a template.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Bodywork