fibreglass pannels for hc

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

fibreglass pannels for hc

Postby RustyG » Tue May 01, 2012 3:47 pm

ive found a website that sells front wings for my hc ( www.honeybournmouldings.co.uk ), but they dont do any other parts such as bonnets and vallances, does anyone know of any other supliers? I read on another forum that i can use an hb valance, is this true? and could i modify an hb bonnet o fit the hc?
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: fibreglass pannels for hc

Postby fistfullofV5's » Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,
I have had a pair of wings from Honeybourne and found them to be both informed and helpful. The other firm I know of is http://www.smithanddeakin.co.uk/ . I don't know of any others. My panels although I haven't fitted them yet look to be of decent quality and worth the cost. As with most fibreglass panels, a bit of rubbing down of surface imperfections will be needed, and some extra bracing brackets fabricated but that's no big deal. Some people look on fibreglass as the work of the devil,and obviously you wouldn't have them on a concours motor but you pays your money and takes your choice. As the cost of steel panels continues to rise, it could be your only choice. I don't have a problem with it as I've used carbon body panels on my Mini's before and the prep and fitting techniques are similar.
I would have thought that the HB valence might not fit the HC due to the indicator mount area differences, but someone on here may well know better.
Cheers, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby reb78 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:59 pm

How obvious is it that the panels are fibreglass once fitted? I need two new wings for the Magnum, i can find offside ones in steel at huge ££££, but no nearside. Does the owners club know where to source both in steel?
reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 am

fistfullofV5's wrote:Some people look on fibreglass as the work of the devil,and obviously you wouldn't have them on a concours motor

That said I know of a HB which is a regular prize-winner "up north" and that has, I believe, fibreglass front wings.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby RustyG » Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 pm

reb78 wrote:How obvious is it that the panels are fibreglass once fitted? I need two new wings for the Magnum, i can find offside ones in steel at huge ££££, but no nearside. Does the owners club know where to source both in steel?

my hc already has one fibreglass wing, the previous owner didnt fit it very well so it sticks out like a sore thumb, it also has a much flatter top compared to the steel wing on the other side, but i recon if it was properly fitted and both sides matched it would not be that noticeable at all!
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby dann01 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Depends on so mny things. Like how well made they are, how well fitted they are, and how well prepped and painted.

My droop has fibreglass wings, that unless you look very closely, or feel under the arch, you would never know. Except that they are high top when the car is a 75 and should have had flat tops... Other than that they are fine.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby RustyG » Fri May 18, 2012 7:39 pm

dann01 wrote:Depends on so mny things. Like how well made they are, how well fitted they are, and how well prepped and painted.

My droop has fibreglass wings, that unless you look very closely, or feel under the arch, you would never know. Except that they are high top when the car is a 75 and should have had flat tops... Other than that they are fine.

Dan

where do you get the high tops from? mines a 72, and i would really rather not put the flat top ones on it!!
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby dann01 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:37 am

Came with em when I bought the vehicle, so I haven't a clue, but I could probably find out from previous owner if he's still around.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby RustyG » Sat May 19, 2012 9:17 pm

if you could that would be brilliant!! i would rather not put flat top wings on her, but it may be the only option
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby RustyG » Mon May 21, 2012 4:23 pm

ive just been having a look on the net and i can find loads of pictures of DTV front splitters on vivas and magnums, but cant find where to buy them anywhere, any one have any ideas?
72 Viva SL
86 Nova Hatchback
87 Nova Saloon
RustyG
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork