Screen Removal

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Screen Removal

Postby RoyF » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm

I have to fit a new headlining to my HC so wondered if anyone on here who has done this themselves can advise on the best approach, any tricks of the trade etc I should be aware of. I am bit concerned about not breaking the screens during pushing them out as the rear rubber in particular seems well hard. Thanks
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Screen Removal

Postby ken707 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 pm

I' don't claim to be an expert but have worked on quite a few windows. Take the screens out from the inside complete with the rubbers, especially as Viva window rubbers are often brittle on the outsides like yours.

For the front I usually start on the top corner by pulling back the rubber with a helper pushing the screen outwards. A good way to push is for the helper to sit in the seat with their feet pressing on the corner of the screen.(helpful hint; ask your helper to wear fresh socks)

You can push quite hard but this comes with practice, to start, work carefully pulling back the rubber in both directions across the top and down the side. The danger point can be when the screen releases well at the corner and the helper continues to push too hard causing the window to twist and possibly shatter. Likewise, a laminated screen can crack very easily.

When the screen is out, best to store flat to avoid damage to the outside edge of the rubber.

The rear is similar, harder to push from the inside though.
ken707
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby RoyF » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Thank you Ken
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:13 am

I'd agree with Ken, though I've done all my glass removal without a helper and only ever broken one.

I use a selection of small screwdrivers, first of all gradually running along the entire length of the inside of the rubber to free it from the bodywork, and the same on the outside if possible, if the frames and bodywork aren't in the way. Then pick a location and use the small screwdriver as a lever to pull the inside of the rubber down flat against the edge of the window aperture, then do the same a few inches away with another one - on most windows there's one place you can get it to stay there. Add a third a little further away, and pull out the centre one, and keep doing this to get the points a few inches apart.

Once the screwdrivers are spread apart enough, the centre of the section will be trying to fold back vertical, but the top edge will be very close to the bodywork edge so you can use another screwdriver to feed it under the bodywork to the "outside", and once you've done this it's quite easy to run all the way around the window feeding the edge of the rubber under the edge of the bodywork. Tight corners are the hardest, such as the back end of an estate rear quarter glass, but if you plan the job it should be easy to leave them until last - for the estate, I freed off the top, then the front, then the bottom, and gently pulled the glass forward to get it out of the back corner.

The key thing is to be very gentle, and very gradual, whichever method you choose. That's the point of running around the rubber first to break the seal - very often once you've done this you'll "feel" that the glass can move outwards a little. Beware of windows that have a lot of sealant around them that can act as a glue, that would make it even more important to release it first.

The one time I broke a glass was in a breakers yard, removing a rear screen from an Audi quattro (which has 'quattro' in the heating element). I followed my own advice, but when I thought it was all freed off I just pushed a little too hard and the whole thing shattered into tiny pieces. Yes, I owned up, and no, I didn't have to pay for it - as the chap behind the counter said, "there's probably only you that wants it anyway".

If the above puts you off, there are quite a lot of mobile windscreen companies that will do glass removal and replacement as a service. But be careful, a lot of advice (even in "Practical Classics") is to cut the rubber and pull the glass out, which is lovely if you can get new rubbers easily and cheaply.

Try first on a window where you can easily get replacement glass.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby ian24ian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

Plastic pushbike tire levers are good tools for helping, old curved end spoon handles are good too, if you are doing it on your own, a double quilt on the bonnet can help safety wise, so can having the bonnet/boot open, sometime a bit of lube will help too, Windowlene ?? helps, peel back the rubber and spray along the gap behind the rubber, same with putting back the screen, dont use washing up liquid as its quite corrosive, if the rubbers have a sealing bead on the outside, dont forget to remove it before you start,
A rotter and a scoundrel, :)
ian24ian
GT Viva
GT Viva

Location: Sunny Bexhill, any further south, and my feet are wet!!!!!!!!

Postby RoyF » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks chaps, good advice indeed. I'll let you know how I get on.
RoyF
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby HONEY318 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:19 pm

THANKS EVERYONE, i shall be trying to do that soon as well. i have a nasty bit of welding to do on the bottom corner of my windscreen to fix. and i dont really want to use too much filer. (only as a final skim). so the advice will be much helpfull.
1256 2 door viva estate

( Lizzy )

HC 678
HONEY318
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lenny » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:52 pm

does anyone know where i can find these rubbers or which rubbers these are?
as brittle as they are i don't dare to take them out to look without having spare's
thanks!
lenny
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Bodywork