Most Critical Areas of Rot on an HB?

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Most Critical Areas of Rot on an HB?

Postby Bazz100 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I have my "tame" welder coming to look at my HB soon. I know he is a very competent guy, but he has never done an HB before. Can anyone suggest what are the worst problems in terms of rot on the underside of the chassis? I think I picked up somewhere that the two "box sections" which run the length of the car are critical in terms of strength and tend to rot from the inside? I have repair sections for the straight runs under the cabin floor, but I think I heard that the problem area is where they dip down under when going out of the engine bay and and down under the bulkhead.

I know the old adage about anything being repairable if you spend the time and money, but I'm just trying to identify what are the areas we need to poke which might be hardest to fix?

Looking at the areas which are easy to see; the wings and inner wings were replaced in 1980, but it wasn't done well and the inner wings are now well gone. Areas around the headlights are very good. Rear wheel arches were done in the mid-1980's and seem good as are the rear suspension mountings. The sills are original, look good but suspect they are bad.

I've never done a restoration before so have nothing to scope it against in terms of how good/bad things are :roll:
Always wear gloves at a crime scene
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Most Critical Areas of Rot on an HB?

Postby hbpeter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 pm

The sections where the gearbox cross member bolts on. As you say, wings, inner wings, sills, arches, spare wheel well, bottom of rear wings, bonnet/bootlid edges, front/rear valences. Pretty much anywhere really, scuttle panel at base of windscreen.

Let us know how it all goes.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Re: Most Critical Areas of Rot on an HB?

Postby Bazz100 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:46 am

It never ceases to surprise me how variable it is from one place to another. For instance, on the driver's side, the area where the hinge attaches on to the bonnet is all but perfect whereas the same area on the passenger side is a total disaster.

It won't make Billing this year, but I might, ....if I can get my canoe ready!
Always wear gloves at a crime scene
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Bodywork