Unenviable Task Rear Glass

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Unenviable Task Rear Glass

Postby Andrew Morris » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Im building up to this one,so before i have enough courage,im about to replace the two rear windows on my HC 2 door.I have the glass,rubber seals and those horrid metal frames to fit too.Any tips please or do i call the 1979 branch of auto glass like i used to in the olden days :(
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Unenviable Task Rear Glass

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 am

I did them on my Firenza, totally against all advice I removed the old ones with a selection of small screwdrivers, peeling back the edge of the rubber on the inside until I could get enough of it "under" the edge of the panel to stay there, then fed a little more at a time through until a corner pops out, then keep on going. Be gentle, don't stress anything and make sure you do it evenly and it should be OK. Oh, and remove the screws or pop-rivets in the frame first as well!

On the way back in, I put a bit of cord around the rubber and "pulled" it into place like you see recommended anywhere. I couldn't get the frame in once I'd fitted the windows, so I took them out again and fitted the window with frame in one piece. I've read advice that says lubricate the rubber with washing up liquid or the like to make the job easier.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Andrew Morris » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:49 pm

droopsnoot wrote:I did them on my Firenza, totally against all advice I removed the old ones with a selection of small screwdrivers, peeling back the edge of the rubber on the inside until I could get enough of it "under" the edge of the panel to stay there, then fed a little more at a time through until a corner pops out, then keep on going. Be gentle, don't stress anything and make sure you do it evenly and it should be OK. Oh, and remove the screws or pop-rivets in the frame first as well!

On the way back in, I put a bit of cord around the rubber and "pulled" it into place like you see recommended anywhere. I couldn't get the frame in once I'd fitted the windows, so I took them out again and fitted the window with frame in one piece. I've read advice that says lubricate the rubber with washing up liquid or the like to make the job easier.

Thanks for that one,will have to give it a go then
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Para cord and PTFE spray lube, eBay ...
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Andrew Morris » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:03 pm

shamm wrote:Para cord and PTFE spray lube, eBay ...

Thanks and a patience of a saint eh!
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vx-mike » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 am

Sound advice already goiven but DO NOT use washing-up liquid to lubricate rubbers as this contains a high salt content and will attack your metalwork.

mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Andrew Morris » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 pm

vx-mike wrote:Sound advice already goiven but DO NOT use washing-up liquid to lubricate rubbers as this contains a high salt content and will attack your metalwork.

mike

Well they say you learn something new every day and that is something i didnt know,no wonder all my Vauxhalls fell to bits.Thanks for the tip Mike

Andrew
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Andrew Morris » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Andrew Morris wrote:Im building up to this one,so before i have enough courage,im about to replace the two rear windows on my HC 2 door.I have the glass,rubber seals and those horrid metal frames to fit too.Any tips please or do i call the 1979 branch of auto glass like i used to in the olden days :(

Well it took 6 months and result,they are both in :D Really is a 2 person job but went in easier than expected.Thanks to all who gave there advice.Now trying to find a Winguard drivers door Mirror,can you get them repaired or refurbed?
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

What's wrong with it, broken glass? I think they were used on something else, but with different fittings. If it's the one I'm thinking of, note that there's no such thing as 'drivers' or 'passengers', you just twist it around on the base and it suits the other side.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Andrew Morris » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm

droopsnoot wrote:What's wrong with it, broken glass? I think they were used on something else, but with different fittings. If it's the one I'm thinking of, note that there's no such thing as 'drivers' or 'passengers', you just twist it around on the base and it suits the other side.

Well that's another I ddn1t know ,absolutley bang on,yep, spinning em round does work on the passenger side, thanks.
I only have the one mirror on my HC, drivers side only,2 holes pre drilled in the door. Mirror glass is pitted, bit like granulated sugar on the glass ,but the main reason is the arm to the chrome bracket is shot. Its the tension spring on the inside thats knackered, or worn out? Shame really cos the bright work is brilliant, no pitting of corrosion. Its a late Winguard Mirror from the later HCs.
Would be great to have repaired but don't know who .At the moment im trying to find another one,

Anyone got one for sale please?
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork